Pse To Buy Or Not To Buy

mich perez

I'm using Craft artist and scrapbookmax software but I want to try PSE because its complete and its a good photo editing software.

I'm having a hard time to decide if I will buy PSE or not, do you know any website where can i download a free trial?

I need to check and familiarize the software first.

You can download a trial directly from Adobe. Only problem is they will only have a trial for the latest version, PSE11. You can get some good deals on earlier versions of PSE, but they won't be able to do what PSE10 and 11 can (they made a lot of changes).

You are right to want to try it out, it's very different from craft artist, but you will be able to do much more. You may find you will need help, there is a tutorial in the boutique which is brilliant, a lot of us here learnt from it.

You can download a trial directly from Adobe. Only problem is they will only have a trial for the latest version, PSE11. You can get some good deals on earlier versions of PSE, but they won't be able to do what PSE10 and 11 can (they made a lot of changes).

You are right to want to try it out, it's very different from craft artist, but you will be able to do much more. You may find you will need help, there is a tutorial in the boutique which is brilliant, a lot of us here learnt from it.

Hi Valerie. I will try their free trial, i hope my laptop memory can handle the new version.by the way, i made my first siggie and it's not perfect yet.i need more practice.thanks for all your help.

I hope enjoy using the free trial of PSE as it is a great program and what I started with. I am sure you are aware of all the great video tutorials in the boutique: Software Secrets that I highly recommend.

If you hunt around you may find a trial for an older version, sometimes they aren't always good at removing the older version, but sometimes other sites host the download.

If you are running an slow laptop you may want an older version and these are still available to buy and you get a good discount on the price.

I originally started with some dedicated software (possible Digital Scrapbook Artist). It got me started but I found it limited. Of course moving to PSE was tricky but it was worth the effort and now I find the original software really difficult to use.

If you hunt around you may find a trial for an older version, sometimes they aren't always good at removing the older version, but sometimes other sites host the download.

If you are running an slow laptop you may want an older version and these are still available to buy and you get a good discount on the price.

I originally started with some dedicated software (possible Digital Scrapbook Artist). It got me started but I found it limited. Of course moving to PSE was tricky but it was worth the effort and now I find the original software really difficult to use.

Hi Kate,actually I currently using Craft Artist and Scrapbook max and I really want to try to Pse. Yes, I will try to download first the older version and familiarize with it.

I used to use ScrapbookMax, but found it rather limiting. Then I found PSE5 and have never looked back. I now use PSE10 and have downloaded PSE11 trial version. I still don't know if I'm going to purchase the upgrade, as I can't figure out how to load and keep my brushes loaded. And I still don't like how the layers and styles panels show up on the right hand side of the page. I like PSE10 for that, but adding actions and styles is a whole lot easier with PSE11.

I used to use ScrapbookMax, but found it rather limiting. Then I found PSE5 and have never looked back. I now use PSE10 and have downloaded PSE11 trial version. I still don't know if I'm going to purchase the upgrade, as I can't figure out how to load and keep my brushes loaded. And I still don't like how the layers and styles panels show up on the right hand side of the page. I like PSE10 for that, but adding actions and styles is a whole lot easier with PSE11.

Hi Carol,

I'm wondering if you are loading or installing the brushes? If you load a brush, it will only stay in the brushes palette temporarily; I think until you switch to a different brush located someplace else in the palette. If you install a brush into the presets folder it should stay in the brushes palette.

To install brushes in PSE 11, copy the .abr file and paste to: C:>Program Files(x86)>Adobe>Photoshop Elements 11>Presets>Brushes

I've installed several in PSE 11 just to try them out, and so far haven't had any trouble with them not staying there.

I normally only install the the ones I know I'm going to use quite often and I also install dynamic brushes. I usually just load other brushes as I need them or sometimes even use the png files. HTH

Hi Carol,

I'm wondering if you are loading or installing the brushes? If you load a brush, it will only stay in the brushes palette temporarily; I think until you switch to a different brush located someplace else in the palette. If you install a brush into the presets folder it should stay in the brushes palette.

To install brushes in PSE 11, copy the .abr file and paste to: C:>Program Files(x86)>Adobe>Photoshop Elements 11>Presets>Brushes

I've installed several in PSE 11 just to try them out, and so far haven't had any trouble with them not staying there.

I normally only install the the ones I know I'm going to use quite often and I also install dynamic brushes. I usually just load other brushes as I need them or sometimes even use the png files. HTH

I thought that I was installing them, but I guess I wasn't. Anyway, followed your instructions and the brushes are loaded and saved. Thanks for your help.

I think I'll download the new free trial PSE v11 from Adobe and when Costco puts it on sale in 2 or 3 weeks (at least they did the past 3 years), I'll purchase it for less than $60. Then I just need to put the serial number of the purchased copy in the trial box when it pops up and I'm off and running. I was going to wait and purchase it at Costco, but I did this before and it worked. That way I can get to that lighter background (YEA!) and get used to the new toolbox and palette arrangements. I think I'm going to really like it once the newness wears off. I'm also interested in some of the new "effects" they've added.

Archived