What Do You Do With Your Commercial Purchases?

Kate Davis

I've just been using the search on the forum for the new blog post and noticed several commercial licenses. I've always ignore these in the past because they are not relevant to me, but tonight it got me thinking... how could I use them?

So far, I have used my supplies to create layouts for me, a thank you card and a few gifts. But, if I wanted (and I bought the correct licence of course) how might I use my supplies?

If you buy commercial licences I would love to know why and how you use them.

Hi Kate, commercial licenses are used for those who scrap for hire...ie: you create scrapbooks for other people for money. then you have to buy a commercial use license for the collection/s you want to use to scrap their book.

commercial licenses are also for people who want to create their own products for sale or use in their scrap-for-hire businesses.

So, say I wanted to create a new embellishment for a collection of mine and I loved a ScrapSimple product that suited my collection perfectly. I would buy the commercial license and then would be able to personalise the product to my style, collection, etc and then include it in a collection I was to sell to others.

hope this makes sense :)

I use my commercial product to make things (like T-shirts) to sell and for scrap-for-hire. I also use them occasionally for things at church (like table tents to advertise events and decorations for programs) since I'm paid for my time to create them.

I use my commercial product to make things (like T-shirts) to sell and for scrap-for-hire. I also use them occasionally for things at church (like table tents to advertise events and decorations for programs) since I'm paid for my time to create them.

FYI - You'd need a commercial license for church things even if you weren't paid to create them.

I only have a couple of commercial license collections and am planning to buy another one during the sale. I use mine for some of my clients who want a brochure or a flyer for their business - I rarely use anything from them except for an embellie or two but they do come in handy for things like that. I've always hoped that my use of them was okay so I'm really glad you asked this question.

Also, there is a slight difference in the TOU for the Scrap Simple items and for the finished kits etc. Just be sure you understand the distinction if you plan to design kits for sale.

thank you Gayle, you are absolutely right. please always make sure you read the TOU's attached to the files

I use my commercial product to make things (like T-shirts) to sell and for scrap-for-hire.

Ohh, light bulb moment. I've made a couple of gifts, but one was printed on photo paper and one on canvas, I've never thought about doing layouts for tshirts or mugs. I wonder if that is all my christmas gifts sorted...?

I love photo gifts! I have 2 mugs already with various photos of our family. I also made some for the grandmothers. I think photo gifts are perfect gifts for grandparents because they have everything! Have fun making all of those Christmas gifts Kate.

The photo gifts jumped out at me so much I didn't assimilate the rest of the thread, so I'm just revisiting.

I understand using commercial items to produce leaflets and brochures for people. I also think it is really cool that you can use items to help you create your own, although even with that starting point I don't have any idea how the designers create things, I am very grateful to you. I am curious about the concept of scrap for hire. Is it something that people really pay for? I find the whole process of scrap booking very personal and I can't imagine asking someone else to do a layout of my pictures and my journalling.

Thank you for your answers. I have no intention of going down any of these routes at the moment as I have enough of my own layouts to do, but I like to collect answers when I think of questions.

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older thread but i have a question about personal use items (ie not specifically commercially licensed). I have purchased several SG collections and now I'd like to use some of the collections in non-profit work as well as potentially for scrap-for-hire on a very limited basis. Is it possible to buy a commercial license for a collection after the fact? I am not even sure that the collections that I have purchased offered that possibility (ie to pay one price for PU and another for CU.) Thanks!!

HI Jen. Someone else may come along and clarify, but as I understand there is no "buy up" option available at this time for a PU item you already to make it CU. As I understand you would need to buy the item again at the commercial level. Check the boutique to see if what you have for PU is available for CU. As for a specific item that is or isn't CU, it's up the designers as to whether or not they want to make their products available for CU. If you don't see it in the boutique, then it isn't available at that time.

Archived