Time Machine

Deb C.

Has anyone ever used the Time Machine Buddy on their MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard?

My Time Machine is very, very slow. (It ran overnight and this morning, it had only backed up 4.43 of 18.47, so it wasn't even 1/4 of the way done yet.) It was suggested to get the Time Machine Buddy as it will show you the system logs and will show you what's happening behind the scene and will show you any error messages.

I'm not, in any way, a computer guru, so wanted to see if anyone else had ever used it - - or if anyone else had experienced this problem with their Time Machine back-ups.

Thanks.

Deb C.

Deb, I don't know anything about Time Buddy, but when I back up, it only takes a little while - I have a MacBook Pro too. I just use Time Machine and I back up my laptop every day since I lost my hard drive awhile back.

I'll see what I can find out about Time Buddy from my friendly Mac techie! (whose phone number is at the top of the list in my contacts! - LOL)

Well, shoot - it's 5:20 here and so he's left the shop - but if you don't get an answer to your question by tomorrow I will give him a call.

I found this doing a search for Time Buddy but you probably already know this:

About Time Machine Buddy

Organizes and displays the systems logs generated by Apple’s Time Machine Backup feature found in Mac OS X Leopard. With this widget you will be able to quickly tell what is happening behind the scenes for the backup in progress or any previous backups.

What’s New in this Version

- Detect missing log files

- Detect incorrect permissions to read backup logs

- Skip truncated backup messages caused by rolled logs

- Fix version information

- Correct the lapsed time for sub-sequential backups.

Thanks, Sara.

I use Time Machine too but all of a sudden, it is very SLOW. After reading some things, it might be because I didn't do a back-up every day for awhile. In fact, since I have been having those problems, I haven't done a successful back-up since Sept. 5. So........it might be doing a full back-up or a deep traversal. Time Machine Buddy is supposed to tell me what it's doing. But, like you mentioned, it says it is for Leopard, but I am assuming it will also work with Snow Leopard.

Just a little scared to try something new, I guess. :(

Deb

Thanks, Sara.

I use Time Machine too but all of a sudden, it is very SLOW. After reading some things, it might be because I didn't do a back-up every day for awhile. In fact, since I have been having those problems, I haven't done a successful back-up since Sept. 5. So........it might be doing a full back-up or a deep traversal. Time Machine Buddy is supposed to tell me what it's doing. But, like you mentioned, it says it is for Leopard, but I am assuming it will also work with Snow Leopard.

Just a little scared to try something new, I guess. :(

Deb

I know, Deb.....I always struggle with the "new" things - I will definitely talk with my techie in the am - he's great about helping over the phone!

Is it still backing up?

I'm using Mountain Lion - not sure why I said Snow Leopard and I just did another search for answers but didn't have a lot of luck.

Maybe Sandi will come along and see this before tomorrow and have a good answer for you. I'm not much help - honestly hadn't heard of Time Machine Buddy before you mentioned it......(:

hey Deb, hope you get an answer, we eventually had to turf our time capsule...it was causing major electrical outages on our house and once it was full....it wouldn't back up over the old files, not sure if it's because of the way dh set it up. we reverted to backing up to ehd's through a third party back up programme. (which reminds me to do a backup tonight, yikes)

hope you get satisfactory answers

Hi Deb

I use Snow Leopard on a white Macbook (late 2008) and am not the best at regular backup. I usually go a few weeks and sometimes as much as a month. (I know, I know....)

I use Time machine with an EHD and have no trouble at all - nothing slow, no problems (Knock on wood). I don't know why but that might mean something isn't right with yours right now?

Hope you get it straigtened out. Good luck.

Well, Deb, I went to Asheville this morning instead of calling my tech - went to the Apple Store cause Rich's laptop decided to just die late last night and while I was there, asked him about this. He said he had not used it - didn't know too much about it - but said he had some customers who DID use it and they swore by it.

He seemed very positive about what people had told him. I hope that helps a little bit - I know it isn't much to go on. I had hoped he would have used it or know more about it.

Archived