6 replies to this topic

#1 laurielou56

laurielou56

Scrapper Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

What exactly are styles? I was looking at a collection in today's newsletter it I'm not sure how it works. Are they something you add to your software? Help! : )

Laurie
Posted Image

#2 ValerieT

ValerieT

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• TOU Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,741 posts
  • Personal Statement:Mad as a hatter, with the patience of a saint!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

Styles are something you can add to PSE or Photoshop. Each style does something different, but they change one layer in your layout. For example add glitter, change your photo, add a drop shadow. They are a lot of fun to play with.

gallery_22902_66_83438.png

BLINKIES_UK.gif   Button_Layout.png   SG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif    Button_Welcome.png  SecondHomeBlinkieGIF.gif?t=1352459462

#3 diannecp

diannecp

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Personal Statement:Artist, writer, daughter, wife, aunt, child of God. I'm just a "work in progress."

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

You can add Layer Styles yourself in PSE or Photoshop . . . one small change at a time. Or you can buy preset styles in the Boutique which are a combination of different layer styles to achieve certain effects (textures, shadows, etc.) . . . all done at once for you! It took me a while to get on to them but I am finding they add a whole 'nuther dimension to the digital art!
Posted Image

"I do not understand the mystery of grace -- only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us." Anne Lamott. My blog (Unfinished Work)

#4 laurielou56

laurielou56

Scrapper Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Will they work with Gimp, does anyone know? I've been thinking about purchasing PSE but haven't done it yet.
Posted Image

#5 teecee

teecee

• TOU Administrator
  • 20,283 posts
  • Personal Statement:Miracles happen to those who believe in them.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Will they work with Gimp, does anyone know? I've been thinking about purchasing PSE but haven't done it yet.

Hi Laurie. Sorry, but they only work with Adobe products. (PS, PSE)

#6 AggieB

AggieB

• Members
  • 12,703 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

Laurie - I use GIMP, too and it is sad that the styles don't work there. However, the scripts do a lot of similar things, although I confess that I mostly use the bevel & drop shadow. Have you used inkscape? You can do cool things with shaped text and then plug it into your GIMP project.

gallery_17848_304_78298.gif

December 2010 Member of the Month

#7 laurielou56

laurielou56

Scrapper Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

I'm afraid I'm not that savvy at this yet. I have a lot to learn! I try working with the online Gimp tutorials but don't understand some of the terminology. I hav e ordered a book, I think it's called "Gimp for the Absolute Beginner" or something like that. Hopefully it will help me out!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users