Saturday Color Challenge Chat Special Edition

teecee

Come join me in the chat room at 9AM EDT for a special Digital Scrapbook Day Color Chat and Challenge!

We’ll talk about digital color and we’ll chat and play, and have fun! So bring along some coffee or tea or hot chocolate and maybe some goodies to eat. I’ll also have a mystery color challenge for you, so I hope to see you there…

Don’t worry if you can’t make it to the chat. When the chat is over, I’ll be updating this thread with the challenge information so you’ll still be able to participate. :)

UPDATE:

For today’s color challenge, we’ll be doing something a little different. Since this is Digital Scrapbook Day, I thought it would be fun to create our own color schemes using hex numbers from the internet. For those who don’t know what hex numbers are, or need help with creating color swatches from them, some general instructions will follow.

So, your challenge for today is to use hex numbers to create your own color scheme and then use it in any of these ways:

1. You may just want to create some fun color schemes and post them

2. You may create some color schemes and use them to color some random embellishments, brushes, alphas, etc., as I did in my examples

3. You may create some color schemes and use them in a layout

The choice is yours. I would just like you to play, experiment, and have fun!

Be sure to post your color scheme creations in Digital Scrapbook Day - 2012 Gallery and include the words Color Challenge in your title.

Here are my sample pages: Color Samples I and Color Samples II

There are many different sites where you can obtain the hex numbers for color swatches. If you Google Color Schemes or Color Scheme Designer a whole list of possibilities will come up. I just prefer to use Kuler, but you may use any site you wish. To use Kuler:

Go to kuler.adobe.com

Below the search box on the left side of the page, click on create. You can move the “arms” in the circle all around the circle to create various color combinations which you will see in the color chips below the circle. If you move the center arm that has a white ring at the end of it, all of the other arms will move with it. You can also move the smaller arms individually. As well as moving the arms around the circumference of the circle, you can move them in towards the center and place them anyplace you want. Just keep playing until you find a color combination that you like.

Below each color chip you’ll see a chart with abbreviations, boxes and numbers pertaining to the color of that chip. At the bottom of each chart you’ll see a hex number code – copy this hex number from each chip, then you can use them to re-create your color combination in PSE/PS (Sorry, I don’t have further instructions for PS, but I’m guessing the steps would be similar to PSE).

Open PSE.

Click on the foreground (black) color chip.

When the color picker opens, at the bottom of the box you’ll see a # sign followed by 6 zeroes. (This is the hex number for black).

Highlight the zeroes in the box and change the numbers to the first hex number you copied from your color combination and click OK.

Your foreground color chip is now the first color you chose from your color combination.

NOTE: I don’t think kuler code letters are case sensitive, so when you put your new hex numbers in, you don’t need to be concerned about using caps.

One thing to remember is when you see 0 in a hex number, it is a zero and not the letter “O”.

Now you can transfer that color to your PSE color swatches palette and repeat the steps for the remaining colors from the kuler color combination you created.

In the menu bar, go to Window>Color Swatches. The color swatch palette opens.

If you hover over the blank area of the swatches, your cursor changes to a paint bucket icon and a message pops up saying “click to create a new color swatch”. Just click in the blank area and a window will open for you to name your swatch. You can give your swatch a name or just enter the hex number as a name. Click OK.

Repeat the process for your remaining hex numbers. (Click the foreground color chip, replace the existing hex number with a hex number from you color combination, click on the blank area of the swatches palette, name your swatch, click OK)

When you have all five color chips visible in your swatch palette, go to your preset manager by clicking on the tiny down arrow right next to 4 tiny lines at the top of the swatches palette, and when the menu opens, click on Preset Manger.

When the Preset Manager opens, you’ll see your color swatches at the end of the swatches. Click on the first one you added and shift click on the last one you added. You should see black lines around all five of your swatches now. Click Save Set. Go to the bottom of the window that opens and where it says File Name, enter a name for your swatch set and click Save. Now you can close the preset manager.

In the future, any time you want to use swatches from a set you created, open the menu from the tiny down arrow next to the 4 tiny lines at the top of the swatches palette, and click Load Swatches. Then choose the set you want to load into the palette and click Load.

That will be 11pm here for me, I might be in bed asleep by then. If I joined you I would not be awake in time for a couple of the other chats I hope to take part in .

Oooooh! Mysteries! I love mysteries! Most likely won't make the chat but will be watching for the challenge information - mu Java is giving me trouble again I don't think Java likes me!

Hope you all enjoy the chat as I am heading off to bed and hope to be up bright and early so I can join in on the Only In Digital chat.

lol...I just downloaded a swatch from kuler and then came over here to see what you chose for the colors. Guess I'm all set to participate in this one!

Here's mine: Spiderman. I was really struggling until I took what I had and created a swatch at kuler. Then I was able to find elements that actually looked right. I attached the portion of the layout that I used to generate the swatch and the swatch I used.

post-18472-0-89097000-1352038779_thumb.jpg

post-18472-0-80024200-1352038791_thumb.jpg

Great info, Theresa! Thanks for the reminder. Kuler is a lot of fun, and I definitely don't use it enough.

My swatch colors are taken from the photo and created by Kuler. I didn't use the blue, but did put the rust color as a color layer over the entire layout, which toned it down just enough and kept the sunny, yellow green color I wanted to save.

Goalie Graham.

Color Swatch

Archived