Psd Templates Vs Single Png Files

susan369

Hi Everyone, I'm Susan, I'm new here. I've recently taken up digital scrapbooking. I bought quite a few templates from Scrapgirls in the past few days while the sales were on, and although I'm happy with most of the products I purchased, some of them are not what I expected. I've sent an email to the shop about it, but no reply.

My problem is with some of the templates that only include a single PNG image without a layered PSD file. I don't think these are suitable to be sold as templates. I was able to convert some of them into layers, but shouldn't the designer have done that before putting them up for sale? Some of the PNG "templates" are clearly not capable of achieving the effect they are advertised to do, eg. curled or ripped paper effects. I would have thought you always needed layers to achieve this effect. I was able to separate the single PNG images I received into separate parts and layer them with more or less success, but it makes me think whether these templates were worth paying for as they are not really proper templates. They cost the same as some of the professionally done templates that come complete with PSD files, which are great by the way.

My question is: how do you know what you're buying before paying for it? The description doesn't always say whether the layered templates are included or not. I mistakenly assumed that they would always be included but it's clearly not the case!

First, if you email Angie Briggs (angie@scrapgirls.com), she will provide you with prompt and helpful customer service.

Second, can you tell us what program you are using and what products you are having problems with? Maybe we can help you use your new goodies to their full potential.

Welcome to Scrap Girls, Susan! Have you downloaded the free ebook: ScrapSimple Handbook? It explains the basics of each of the types ScrapSimple templates. Reiterating what Jennifer said, if you can give us specific products (and software), someone (even the designer if need be) can give you more specific directions on how to use it.

Hi Susan and welcome to ScrapGirls! Sorry that your first purchase has been frustrating. I too would love to know which templates you're working with. I had a similar problem once, until I noticed that I hadn't downloaded all the files. That may not be what's happening with you, but it's worth a look. I hope this will get resolved soon.

Oh, and about the " how do you know what you're buying before paying for it?": most of the newer templates include PSD files, and most of the descriptions include that info. The older ones, before about mid-2008-ish (I'm guessing a bit here. Someone else will know more specifically.) don't have PSD. They often include a set of PNGs that are ready to stack on each other, creating an easy PSD (a bit more time consuming though). For those, I've gone ahead and stacked them in PSE and saved the file as a COMPOSITE (my choice of words) in layers. Now when I use them, I've got my PSD ready for me. Hope that helps some, and I hope you can get this resolved soon.

Welcome to Scrap Girls Susan! You've gotten some excellent advice from others, so I just wanted to chime in and say I'm sorry you've had some frustration and hope it is resolved by asking questions. Let us know if you still need help after emailing hello@scrapgirls.com to ask, and double-checking that you downloaded all the files with your order.

Thank you all for your replies. I've double-checked my downloads and there's only the png files included.

The sets I have problems with are the following:

ScrapSimple Paper Templates: Ripped and Rolled http://store.scrapgirls.com/p21125.php

ScrapSimple Digital Layout Templates: Curled http://store.scrapgirls.com/p5965.php

ScrapSimple Digital Layout Templates: Filmstrip http://store.scrapgirls.com/p1561.php

ScrapSimple Digital Layout Templates: Multi-Picture http://store.scrapgirls.com/p3988.php

They all have just single png files, which I wouldn't even call templates. I was hoping I could clip my papers or photos on them (like you would with a proper template) but it is not possible. I've also bought some other sets which include the layered files and they work great, no problems at all. I just wasn't aware that not all of these templates are made to the same standards. I didn't realise this until after I've opened the files. I need to be more careful next time, I guess. I'll just buy the ones that specifically state PSD files included, although not all the descriptions make it clear, unfortunately.

By the way, I use Photoshop Elements.

Susan, I'm not sure about the first two, I've never played with them. However, the filmstrip and multi-picture ones should work the way they are. If they are png files, the "windows" should be transparent. You can just put the photo behind the window (on a layer below the frame). You may need to crop the photos so they don't show behind the other windows. Then you can put a paper above the frame layer and clip it to the frame.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry this is so frustrating for you.

I haven't had time to look up the actual files to double-check, but I did notice that 3 of the products are from very early on in digital history (way back in the dark ages of 2006;) - back then, more things were what we would now call a "quick page" or "JIF" (just insert photo)...which is a single .png file with cutout transparent windows for the photos. Like Nica above said, you just place your photos on the layer below and crop away the areas you do not need. Or if you know how, you may use the magic wand tool on the .png layer to select an opening, then on a new layer, fill that selection with the bucket tool, and use that as a clipping mask for your photo.

All of the newer (since approx 2007 or 8, not quite sure) products labeled layout template do indeed have the layered psd files along with the .png files (which are useful to those who use software that cannot open .psd files, such as Paint Shop Pro).

Hi Susan, In addition to the information Monica and Cheri gave you, I have the ScrapSimple Paper Templates: Ripped and Rolled that you mentioned. In PSE, I just clip my paper (CTRL+G) to the template, then use blending modes to achieve the effect I want. HTH

By the way, welcome to Scrap Girls! :)

Thank you again girls for your replies. I think you've answered my question: I'll just have to be more careful what I buy in the future and stay away from the old templates. The layout templates I received didn't even include the stackable PNGs, just one single PNG image per each design to be used as an overlay. Hardly a template, is it? Luckily, I was able to convert these into layered PSD files, so now I have proper templates, which I can customize any way I like. It would be a good idea for the shop to mark these old templates as obsolete, so other customers don't get caught out like I did.

The older layout templates are still wonderful tools, even in their original PNG state. Just clip your background paper to the template, slide your photos behind the windows, and you almost have a layout ready!

Also, as you might have noticed, we have several varieties of "templates" available in the boutique..

Layout & Album Templates

Embellishment Templates

Paper Templates

Alpha & Word Art Templates

All of these are customizable.

Generally speaking (there are always exceptions), only the layout & album templates will come with layered PSD files. True, some of the older ones will not. But even some of the older templates come with the PNG files, so you can create your own PSD file if you wish.

The majority of the paper templates will NOT be layered PSD files; they will be single PNG pages, as you discovered with the Ripped & Rolled paper templates mentioned above. As Theresa explained, you just clip your paper to the template, then play with blending modes to get it to take on the desired effect and detail of the template. There are a few paper templates that might come with a layered PSD file, but that is at the discretion of the designer, and depends on the level of detail in the template.

Embellishment templates, alpha templates, and word art templates are generally PNG files as well. You treat them the same as the paper templates - clip papers to them, use blending modes, colorize them, etc.

You can find more information in the free ScrapSimple Handbook from the boutique

I have the curled template you mention and I had a look at mine and there is a PDF file that gives instructions of how to use them.

Archived