Monday Challenge 5Th November

ValerieT

Remember, remember the Fifth of November,

the Gunpowder Treason and Plot,

I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent to blow up King and Parliament.

Three score barrels were laid below to prove old England's overthrow;

By God's mercy he was catch'd with a dark lantern and lighted match.

Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring.

Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!

Guy Fawkes Night, also known as Guy Fawkes Day, Bonfire Night and Firework Night, is an annual commemoration observed on 5 November, primarily in Great Britain. Its history begins with the events of 5 November 1605, when Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot, not the leader as most people now believe, was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the Palace of Westminster (The Houses of Parliament). Celebrating the fact that King James I had survived the attempt on his life, people lit bonfires around London, and months later the introduction of the Observance of 5th November Act enforced an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure. It has since been proved that had the gunpowder been lit, about a third of London would have been lost, but would have made very little political difference.

Every year since then, bonfires are lit all across the UK, and fireworks lit. We also have parties, with any hot food that can be easily eaten outside on a cold November night. Any excuse for a party right ;).

That's your history lesson,:lol: now for your challenge.

As a huge number of people will be having a celebration tonight, your challenge today is to scrap any outdoor Celebration, party, social gathering, you get the idea. You don't have to include bonfires or fireworks, unless you want to.

Post your layouts in General Message Board Challenges gallery, and post a link back in this thread, so we can all ooh and arr over your layout.

How COOL, Valerie! I've been waiting for your explanation/history lesson and you did not disappoint me. How interesting to read about Guy Falkes Day/Night - I've never quite understood what it is all about. Thank you for taking the time to explain and type it all out - and make it fun to read, too!

Sounds like a lot of excitment and partying - I can almost hear it over here. :D

And, I've seen the Houses of Parliament/Big Ben, etc - pretty sobering to think that all and more could have been blown to smithereens.

Fun challenge and I have JUST the layout for it - I started it for the moon challenge and Halloween, but with the hurricane (not-to-mention Halloween being cancelled) I never finished it.

Off to do that now, THANK YOU! :)

Since South Africa was an English colony - we also celebrated Guy Fawks day! We'd make a bon fire and repeat a poem, Was:

Guy Faux, Guy Poke him in the eye,

Shove him up the chimney-pot, and there let him die.

A stick and a stake, for King George's sake,

If you don't give me one, I'll take two,

We'd trick or treat - so we did things a bit differently but still had a bonfire. It was fun.

I will find photos for a layout. Great challenge Valerie.

Since South Africa was an English colony - we also celebrated Guy Fawks day! We'd make a bon fire and repeat a poem, Was:

We'd trick or treat - so we did things a bit differently but still had a bonfire. It was fun.

It's interesting how it's the same but different across the Commonwealth. I wonder why it's King George in your poem?

It's interesting how it's the same but different across the Commonwealth. I wonder why it's King George in your poem?

I honestly have no idea, and yes Belle - we made straw "men" and burned them in the firel. LOL

When we lived in North Yorkshire, people gathered around the fire and jacket potatoes and parkin (sort of like our gingerbread, yummy) were offered around. A straw man was thrown on the fire at the end. Children came around before the day and asked for a "penny for the guy".

Love this challenge, Valerie. I loved dragging out Halloween to include Guy Fawkes Day. I managed to educate my friends on some English history (mostly another excuse for fireworks - when my brother would remember to save some.) Bonfires have always been a favorite of my boys - and grandsons. Here's Bonfire at the Lake

When we lived in North Yorkshire, people gathered around the fire and jacket potatoes and parkin (sort of like our gingerbread, yummy) were offered around. A straw man was thrown on the fire at the end. Children came around before the day and asked for a "penny for the guy".

I forgot about "penny for the Guy", I've not seen one since I was a kid, maybe nine or ten. We've been in Yorkshire for 11 years and been to a Bonfire party every year, and not seen a single "Guy". Not sure why.

Archived