Request For Kimberly

HI Kimberly I love all of your fun SS Embellishment templates so far!! I was wondering if you would consider making an Owl one that isn't themed? I love owls and I want to do an invitation for Ava's 1 st Birthday with one on it? Thanks so much, and keep all those fun/fantastic designs coming!!!

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome! My new kit is now in the boutique and is called: Scrap Simple Embellishment Templates: Hoot I hope it works for your daughter's birthday!

I love them - they are just so cute!! Here they are:

KMC_SSEmb_Hoot_MKTG_150.jpgScrapSimple Embellishment Templates: Hoot

Hi Shannon, here are the steps I used to create the owl in the layout:

Step 1: Using a color overlay (instead of the paint bucket tool), re-color the owl template. (#857470 - Branch), (#b09e9a - Owl), (#edd8db - Beak), (#ecd6d4 - Wing, Feet, and Dark Leaves), (#f8eae9 - back part of eyes, and light leaves), (#ffffff - white portions of the eyes), and (#513e38 - Darkest part of the eyes)

Step 2: Save the re-colored owl template under a new name

Step 3: Once saved, select all of the layers and clicked "Merge Layers"

Step 4: Open a cardstock overlay and dragged it over the owl image so that the cardstock overlay is at the top in the layers pallet.

I spent the early morning looking through all of the ScrapGirls overlays in the boutique and Syndee's ScrapSimple Paper Templates: Cardstock has a cardstock template overlay that is almost a perfect match to the overlay I used in the layout. The link for this product is: ScrapSimple Paper Templates: Cardstock. The overlay to use in this set is the SNU_SSPaper_Cardstock_12x12-6.png file.

Step 5: Resize the cardstock so that it is only slightly larger than the owl itself.

Step 6: With the cardstock layer selected, click "Create Clipping Mask" to clip the cardstock template to the owl image.

Step 7: Change the blending mode for the cardstock layer to "Soft Light" with the opacity set to 100%

Step 8: Duplicate this layer and set the blending mode for this card stock layer to "Soft Light" with the opacity set to 100% (When you duplicate the layer it should automatically create a clipping mask to the owl for you)

Step 9: Duplicate this layer and set the blending mode for this card stock layer to "Color Burn" with the opacity set to 50% (When you duplicate the layer it should automatically create a clipping mask to the owl for you)

Step 10: Duplicate this layer and set the blending mode for this card stock layer to "Soft Light" with the opacity set to 100% (When you duplicate the layer it should automatically create a clipping mask to the owl for you)

Step 11: Select all of the layers and clicked "Merge Layers"

Step 12: Add drop shadow if desired

I hope this is not too confusing. If you have any questions, please let me know.

-Kimberly

Archived