7 replies to this topic

#1 ChristineK

ChristineK

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hope it is ok to ask several question at one since it is the same topic. What kind of paper do you use to print out your photo greeting cards. Would you use the same paper for the envelopes also? I did a test print on the double sited, matte finish HP photo-quality inkjet paper. For me it is way to thin, maybe better used for brochures or flyers.

Also, what does "inking the edges" of the card after trimming mean. What do I look for to buy?

Thanks everyone who can help.

#2 Nica

Nica

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Creative Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • Personal Statement:Love God
    Love Others
    Offer Hope

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Hi Christine! Welcome to Scrap Girls! To answer your questions (although I'm sure some of the hybrid girls will be along with a much better idea), I like to use cardstock (110 lb paper). That may be a little too heavy for envelopes though. I tend to use pre-made ones. As for inking the edges after you trim, that refers to literally taking an ink pad and dabbing the edges of the paper.

gallery_18472_304_721.gif

SGblinkie.gif

WT-Button-copy.gif SG_BB_LoveThis.pngButton_Welcome.pngButton_Layout.png      

#3 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 41,874 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

I use the staples photo matte supreme for printing my cards. It is a 61 lb cardstock that you can print on both sides of. I would do envelopes out of a lighter weight paper.
For inking edges of printed cards, I use Tim Holtz distress inks. I also have an ample supple of other ink pads from when stamped card making was my crafty focus. I don't usually drag my card on the ink pad, I use a inking sponge, dab that on my ink pad and then use it to ink the edge. I think that way gives me more control over the finished look.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngWT-Button-copy.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#4 teecee

teecee

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• TOU Administrator
  • 19,487 posts
  • Personal Statement:Miracles happen to those who believe in them.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Like April, I use the Staples brand photo supreme matte finish photo paper for cards and I use a multi-purpose printer paper for envelopes. Monica and April gave you great advice about inking edges. :)

#5 ChristineK

ChristineK

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Thank you all so much to help me out so quickly. Now I know exactly what to buy tomorrow.

#6 diannecp

diannecp

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Personal Statement:Artist, writer, daughter, wife, aunt, child of God. I'm just a "work in progress."

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

Oooh April, great tip on the inking sponge. I am often unhappy with the results of using the ink pad alone on the card edges. Thanks!!
Posted Image

"I do not understand the mystery of grace -- only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us." Anne Lamott. My blog (Unfinished Work)

#7 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 29,590 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

I do the same thing Theresa and April do. If I'm making a bunch of cards (like Christmas), I buy the envelopes rather than making them. I love Tim Holtz inks!

#8 Sherry Lynn

Sherry Lynn

Proud to be a Maine-iac!

• Creative Team
  • 27,164 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

I recently purchased a package of Tsukineko 3-Piece Sponge Daubers for inking my edges AND oh my I love them!
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users