Monday Challenge 12/03/12

PBarnes

Several months ago, for the Thursday challenges, I touched on the Elements of Design. For the month of December, we're going to look at the Principles of Design. There are several good websites out there that go further into depth on the subject.

In a good piece of design, whether it be a painting or a scrapbook page, you will incorporate many, if not all of the principles and many of the elements of design. We will be focusing on one or two of the principles each week, but don't put aside the other aspects of good design.

Balance in design is similar to balance in physics

A large shape close to the center can be balanced by a small shape close to the edge. A large light

toned shape will be balanced by a small dark toned shape (the darker the shape the heavier it appears to be) (Artist John Lovett's website)

It is a state of equalized tension and equilibrium, which may not always be calm.

Types of Balance

Symmetry

Asymmetrical produces an informal balance that is attention attracting and dynamic.

Radial balance is arranged around a central element. The elements placed in a radial balance seem to 'radiate'

out from a central point in a circular fashion.

Overall is a mosaic form of balance which normally arises from too many elements being put on a page. Due to the lack of hierarchy and contrast, this form of balance can look noisy.

(Wikipedia)

For today's challenge, I want you to give particular attention to your layout's Balance. I encourage you to read further by Googling the Principles of Design. You can do a layout of any subject with any number of photos that you wish to use.

Post your layouts in the General Message Board Gallery.

Here's mine: Lime Tree Bay Resort

Archived