Monday Challenge 12/24/12

PBarnes

Continuing with our Principles of Design theme this month, today's focus is on Unity. A simple definition is: Unity is the feeling of harmony between all parts of the artwork creating a sense of completeness.

"Relating the design elements to the idea being expressed in a painting reinforces the principal of unity.eg. a painting with an active aggressive subject would work better with a dominant oblique direction, course, rough texture, angular lines etc. whereas a quiet passive subject would benefit from horizontal lines, soft texture and less tonal contrast.

Unity in a painting also refers to the visual linking of various elements of the work." The definition is from artist John Lovett's website.

Post your finished layouts in the General Message Board gallery.

Here's mine: Vacation

I tried to use the concept, as expressed above, of a quiet and passive subject (the photos) benefiting from horizontal lines, soft texture and low tonal contrast. I kept my palette of colors limited.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this portrait of Darren and I that Aidan took and I wanted to treat it really simply... so I used a simple shape and embellished with simple shaped accessories.. I repeated these colours and shapes to tie it all together... It looks unified to me... :-)

Archived