Hand Held Scanners

Kate Davis

We already have a flatbed scanner, but I find it difficult to scan from books as I get the curve caused by the spine and I don't think it is worth the required effort to scan in magazine clippings. I put a handheld scanner on my Christmas wishlist hoping someone would do the research and buy me one, but they didn't :( So I'm going to buy one for myself as a treat.

The ones I previously researched were LG mouse scanner and Vupoint magic wand. Both seemed to have good points, but weren't completely convincing. Do you have recommendations for an easy to use scanner that will cope with book gutters?

Flip-Pal Mobile Scanner

Here is one that you can get right here on the Scrap Girls Website! I got one a few months ago. It came very fast after placing my order. You can scan pictures right in the albums - no need to take the pictures out. The bed is 4 x 6 so you place it directly over the photo. For larger photos, there is stitching software. I've been very happy with it so far. I was able to take it to my FIL's assisted living and scan pictures as we sat together and he told me about the photos - all without taking them out of the albums.

Flip-Pal sounds like a really good deal. I have so many older relatives that have their photos in albums and a portable-type scanner would fit my needs. My only reservation is having to stitch larger size photos. Can anyone tell me how well the stitching software works and is it user friendly?? Does the stitching have good quality results? Kathy

Flip-Pal sounds like a really good deal. I have so many older relatives that have their photos in albums and a portable-type scanner would fit my needs. My only reservation is having to stitch larger size photos. Can anyone tell me how well the stitching software works and is it user friendly?? Does the stitching have good quality results? Kathy

I've used it. The Flip-Pal stitching software (included on the SD card, so there is nothing to install) works really well and is super easy to use. The quality is great too. I've checked for stitching lines and can't see where it was stitched except on the very edges where I didn't scan the same amounts. I will use a paper strip to keep my scans in line when I do it again. Just make sure you give it the 1" overlap required.

I have been looking at the details of Flip-pal in the shop and I've got 2 questions:

• will they ship to UK (or can I get buy them from somewhere else in the uk)?
  • are they able to go into the crease of a book? Everything I've seen talks about scanning flat items

I have been looking at the details of Flip-pal in the shop and I've got 2 questions:

• will they ship to UK (or can I get buy them from somewhere else in the uk)?
  • are they able to go into the crease of a book? Everything I've seen talks about scanning flat items

If the page is curved, the part of the page that isn't flat under the scanner will not be in as sharp of focus. Usually, this just happens in the margins, so it doesn't matter. I can position the book so the side I am scanning is flat. If there is a specific type of book you'd like me to try it on I'd be willing to check it out for you.

If the page is curved, the part of the page that isn't flat under the scanner will not be in as sharp of focus. Usually, this just happens in the margins, so it doesn't matter. I can position the book so the side I am scanning is flat. If there is a specific type of book you'd like me to try it on I'd be willing to check it out for you.

That would be great thank you April.

The most difficult ones I think will be my journals. Some of them are A5 page a day books... let me just go and have a look at the US equivalent ... hmm can't find a name, the dimensions are 5.8 x 8.3 inches or 148 x 210 mm (approximately half letter??). Because there are so many pages I've found it isn't easy to hold open.

That would be great thank you April.

The most difficult ones I think will be my journals. Some of them are A5 page a day books... let me just go and have a look at the US equivalent ... hmm can't find a name, the dimensions are 5.8 x 8.3 inches or 148 x 210 mm (approximately half letter??). Because there are so many pages I've found it isn't easy to hold open.

How thick are they? I have journals that size- I can try it for you tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to know all these different thoughts on the Flip Pal. I haven't played much with the stitching software - April - what do you mean by the paper strips?

Sorry I totally missed this question!

I would use something to mark the horizontal line when doing a really large image. I thought a strip of paper would work, but a yardstick or anything straight would work too. I just found that when I moved the scanner over for the next scan, I sometimes moved it up or down a little bit. Having something straight to follow so I didn't have to keep track of the 1" overlap two directions would help me. I should have put a screen shot of what I mean in the tutorial I just wrote. ;)

They are page a day so I think about an inch (I'm not at home at the moment so can't measure them).

Thank you so much for doing a test, I've wanted something for a couple of years and now I've decided to get one I just want to buy one.

The bindings in my journals allow the page to go pretty flat. There is only a slight curve on the page about 3/8" from the inside edge. My journal pages scanned just fine.

• 3 months later...

Archived