New To Pse 11

Stage Manager K8

So, I got PSE 11 for Christmas and I'm just starting to play around with it. I cant find a way to open my old PSP files, and that is troublesome. Also, does anyone have any suggestions on the organizer function? Is it worth it, or should I just stick with my current file system for organizing photos?

If you still have PSP (Paint Shop Pro for others who may read this thread), open each .psp in PSP and save AS a .jpg, .tif or .png - I would recommend saving as .tif. The files will be larger than .jpg, but will not degrade when saved and re-saved. Also, assuming the .psp files are layered files such as layouts, the .tif supports layered files and you should be able to open them as such in PSE. I have not tried this...but have heard that it works:) Once you have them in PSE, if you wish to change the files or work on the layout more, I would recommend saving AS a .psd file. I don't think a layered .tif file can support styles on the layers, only a .psd can do that.

I know you can open .psd files in PSP, but I don't know if you can open any of the PSP files in PSE. Unless you converted them to .tif files like Cheri suggested. I'm trying to remember what I used to do when I made the switch from PSP to PSE5... but that was a few years ago.

I've never used the Organizer feature in any of my versions of PSE, so I can't offer any suggestions with that.

Have fun with your new software!!! You'll probably end up addicted to styles & actions like I did ;)

If you still have PSP (Paint Shop Pro for others who may read this thread), open each .psp in PSP and save AS a .jpg, .tif or .png - I would recommend saving as .tif. The files will be larger than .jpg, but will not degrade when saved and re-saved. Also, assuming the .psp files are layered files such as layouts, the .tif supports layered files and you should be able to open them as such in PSE. I have not tried this...but have heard that it works:) Once you have them in PSE, if you wish to change the files or work on the layout more, I would recommend saving AS a .psd file. I don't think a layered .tif file can support styles on the layers, only a .psd can do that.

PSP would not save in the .tif format without merging the layers. Is there something I'm missing?

PSP would not save in the .tif format without merging the layers. Is there something I'm missing?

Ugh...you're probably not missing anything. Photoshop (and presumably PSE) can save layered .tif files, but maybe PSP cannot unless a more wise PSP person than I comes along to tell you how. Try doing an internet search to see if it's possible. What I just read online indicated saving the .tif as an "uncompressed" file, but not sure if that would then allow it to save as a layered file or not.

I think I am one of the few people on here that uses the Organizaer to organize all of my stash. Several years ago, when I first wanted to learn PSE, I bought an instruction book and the author used Organizer for her scrapbook elements. The book came with a CD with an Organization system included for the Organizer. I started using it then when I first started buying scrapping kits and have used it ever since. I have changed it a lot to suit my needs over the years, and now have over 30,000 scrapbooking elements tagged in it. People complain about the tagging, but I am so used to doing it that it is pretty second nature to me now. For example, I have all of the marketing sheets from kits, brushes, SS Paper, SS Embellishment tagged as Preview sheets, so when I get ready to do a page, I just browse through the preview sheets for kits and pick the one(s) I want to use. I also have most things tagged by color, so if I want a red ribbon, I just go sort by red/ribbon and all of mine come up. I love it and can't imaging scrapping without it. That all being said, it would be time consuming to start tagging things, I think, if you have a lot of stuff. Plus you would have to come up with you own tagging system. If you already have a system that works well for you, I'm not sure it would be worth it. I know a lot of people use Picassa, but since my system works so well for me, I have always been hesitant to switch. If you think you might be interested in using Oganizer, I would be happy to share my tagging system with you. (I have changed the original so much that I don't think I am violating any copyrights by sharing what I am currently doing.)

I hope you get your file problem sorted out.

I love PSP but recently purchased Elements, primarily so I could use the styles and actions sold here. I still make my layouts in PSP. When I have completed it, I save the layout as a pspimage file (for editing later) and as a psd file. I then open the psd file in Elements and run the styles. At that point, I save the layout as a jpeg. PSP won't support styles, so you won't be able to open the layout with styles in PSP. If I need to edit the layout later, I open it in PSP, make the edits, save as described above, and run the styles again in Elements.

After working with both programs, I still prefer to use Paint Shop Pro over Elements.

I think I am one of the few people on here that uses the Organizaer to organize all of my stash. Several years ago, when I first wanted to learn PSE, I bought an instruction book and the author used Organizer for her scrapbook elements. The book came with a CD with an Organization system included for the Organizer. I started using it then when I first started buying scrapping kits and have used it ever since. I have changed it a lot to suit my needs over the years, and now have over 30,000 scrapbooking elements tagged in it. People complain about the tagging, but I am so used to doing it that it is pretty second nature to me now. For example, I have all of the marketing sheets from kits, brushes, SS Paper, SS Embellishment tagged as Preview sheets, so when I get ready to do a page, I just browse through the preview sheets for kits and pick the one(s) I want to use. I also have most things tagged by color, so if I want a red ribbon, I just go sort by red/ribbon and all of mine come up. I love it and can't imaging scrapping without it. That all being said, it would be time consuming to start tagging things, I think, if you have a lot of stuff. Plus you would have to come up with you own tagging system. If you already have a system that works well for you, I'm not sure it would be worth it. I know a lot of people use Picassa, but since my system works so well for me, I have always been hesitant to switch. If you think you might be interested in using Oganizer, I would be happy to share my tagging system with you. (I have changed the original so much that I don't think I am violating any copyrights by sharing what I am currently doing.)

I hope you get your file problem sorted out.

Since you use the Organizer for all your stash, as I do, I wonder if you have bought PSE 11 yet. I love my Organizer and have it just right for me. I would hate to mess it up. I bought PSE11 but haven't installed it yet for this reason. The new organizer seems to want everything to be a People, Place or Event -not at all what I am doing with it. Have you or anyone made the switch? Do things come over ok?

Archived