Making Folder Thumbnails In Cs6

Gavin's Grandma

I am in the process of transitioning from PS5 and PSE 5 to CS6 on a new Macbook Pro courtesy of Santa. Before I was in Windows XP and could see thumbnails on the fronts of folders that gave me some idea of what was inside the folder. Now I just have blank folders looking at me so that I must open them one by one to find whatever I am looking for. Is there some way to make a thumbnail for the folder cover from maybe the marketing jpg to eliminate the guessswork? At this point I would like to ask Santa to provide an XP emulator and dedicate 95% of my hard drive to it, but he was so thrilled to provide all this that he would be crushed. I just need to stick with the learning curve. Thanks for any help.

I am in the process of transitioning from PS5 and PSE 5 to CS6 on a new Macbook Pro courtesy of Santa. Before I was in Windows XP and could see thumbnails on the fronts of folders that gave me some idea of what was inside the folder. Now I just have blank folders looking at me so that I must open them one by one to find whatever I am looking for. Is there some way to make a thumbnail for the folder cover from maybe the marketing jpg to eliminate the guessswork? At this point I would like to ask Santa to provide an XP emulator and dedicate 95% of my hard drive to it, but he was so thrilled to provide all this that he would be crushed. I just need to stick with the learning curve. Thanks for any help.

There's a great little app for mac called Telling Folders. Basically, you can just drag an image onto the folder icon in telling folders, then drag the folder and you've got an image. This was one of the little annoying things switching from Windows XP to Mac, but Telling Folders makes it easier. Someone must love you a lot to give you a MacBook Pro and CS6.

This is great to know! I'll look in the app store for it. Santa is actually my son who introduced me to Photoshop 4 right after he graduated from college and went to work for Adobe. He could buy software at cost then. He is self employed now so I know he paid full price for everything. When my faithful, slow Windows XP hard disk went last month I was going to replace it, but he said "Why don't you wait and see what Santa comes up with." I reminded him that my needs were simple and not to overdo, so you can imagine how stunned I was. I now feel like I have to become one of the world's foremost digital artists to deserve all this. Do I sound overwhelmed?

This is great to know! I'll look in the app store for it. Santa is actually my son who introduced me to Photoshop 4 right after he graduated from college and went to work for Adobe. He could buy software at cost then. He is self employed now so I know he paid full price for everything. When my faithful, slow Windows XP hard disk went last month I was going to replace it, but he said "Why don't you wait and see what Santa comes up with." I reminded him that my needs were simple and not to overdo, so you can imagine how stunned I was. I now feel like I have to become one of the world's foremost digital artists to deserve all this. Do I sound overwhelmed?

Great son! It will take just a bit of adjustment to the new toys, but once you get going, you'll do amazing things.

hi there, the other thing you can do is double click on the image you want to put into folder to show as a thumbnail, it will open in Preview. Select All, or Cmnd A and then copy that, Cmnd C. Then on the folder itself right click and go to 'get info'. you will then get a box open up and you will see the folder in the top left hand corner, click on that, right click your mouse and hit paste. that will paste your image into the folder and Voila, you will have your thumbnails all ready to go.

hi there, the other thing you can do is double click on the image you want to put into folder to show as a thumbnail, it will open in Preview. Select All, or Cmnd A and then copy that, Cmnd C. Then on the folder itself right click and go to 'get info'. you will then get a box open up and you will see the folder in the top left hand corner, click on that, right click your mouse and hit paste. that will paste your image into the folder and Voila, you will have your thumbnails all ready to go.

I never knew that trick. Telling Folders sounds easier. LOL. I'll try this though. Always good to have more than one trick up your sleeve.

Ok, I just tried that and it got the picture there but it no longer looks like a folder, just an image. I'm thinking that might confuse me, not realizing at a quick glance that was actually a folder with other things inside. I like the Telling Folders look better. But still good to know.

Archived