Jumpstart January 2013

April Showers

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Task #1

All are currently unzipped and in the process of filing. I like to keep collections together in a collections folder. I put all my paper/embelliment templates in another file. I try to put all styles and brushes into my PSE and then file them away on an external HD for backup. I have an alphas, embellishments, word, and papers folders. The paper folder has sub-folders for color. The embellishment has sub-folders for seasons, and types of embellishments like ribbon, brads, or frames etc.

I usually have folders for where I get my supplies. like a SG folder or freebie folder.

works for me.

Task #1

I unzipped everything yesterday (before noticing it was JJ). Because of the sale it was a lot to unzip!

I have all SG supplies in one folder with subfolders for each designer. I don't split any collections.

I have folders for embellishments, papers, scrap simple papers, styles etc where I put a copy of the marketing image and a link to the folder with the complete collection. I use this to get an overview when I start a new layout and with the link I can easily get a closer look.

I also use Picasa when I search for a special item like heart, bird etc

Task 1 - COMPLETE

I just finished downloading and organizing my newest SG sale purchases. My method is a folder in my "Documents" File named "SCRAPBOOKING".

Into this folder are separate files for purchases - I keep each collection, etc together and file them according to purchase date.

In addition, each time I download, I drag the 600jpg marketing photo for each product into a Word Document that was started with my first SG purchases.

I then print these and they are in a binder in plastic sleeves so I can easily "browse" through my products when starting a new project.

Thank you for doing Jumpstart January! I've fallen out of the habit of doing a little each day, and need some motivation and guidance! I need to download January's club and get that into my system, otherwise I'm up to date.

Task #1 I use the system others have mentioned in Ro's tutorials. I use Picasa 3 as my organizer as recommended by Amy Flanagan back a few years ago. I download all of my supplies directly to an external hard drive so that I can go between my desktop and laptop when scrapping. In my Scrapbooking Supplies Folder I have main folders for collections (with subfolders for paper, embellishments, and alphas), alphas (that don't come with a collection), brushes, background paper with sub folders by color(for freebies that don't go with a collection) also put EZ and JIF pages in a sub folder here, embellishments with subfolders like Ro suggested (again for freebies that don't go with a collection), layout templates, card templates, a catch-all scrapgirls downloads (for things like actions and the pdf files that come with various products. I also have a main folder called layout ideas.

Oh no, my browser just crashed on me while I was preparing my list. I don't have time to recreate it now, but what I have learnt is I have a lot of collections I haven't used yet. Something I need to work on this year ...

I'll add a selection of them tomorrow (I assume that is okay and you don't need all of them)

Task 1: Everything unzipped and filed. I keep collections intact, because I tend to remember them easier that way (I know, I'm odd, lol) but I do have a few extra folders where I copy over favorite frames and things, and another two where I store actions and styles. In addition, I follow April's example from a while back and keep track of all my purchases in an Excel spreadsheet. In an extra column I make notes about each kit: holiday, heritage, good frames, etc.

Task 2: I think I've used at least one or two pieces from all my recent purchases and would really have to delve into my exif files on the older products. So I'll list these as unused for sure:

ScrapSimple Word Art Templates: Calender Marker Flags

Scrap Girls January 2013 Club (12th of Never by Jen Reed)

Scrap Girls December 2012 Scrap Simple Club (Altered Books/Junk Journal by Elisha Barnett)

Task #2

I've used most of what I have, and as soon as I scrape together some discretionary money I will pick up the styles below:

ScrapSimple Tools - Styles: Chipboard Edge 6301

ScrapSimple Tools - Styles: Silent Night 12601

ScrapSimple Tools - Styles: Music 6301

I'm just learning PSE and I think styles are terrific!

Oh no, my browser just crashed on me while I was preparing my list. I don't have time to recreate it now, but what I have learnt is I have a lot of collections I haven't used yet. Something I need to work on this year ...

I'll add a selection of them tomorrow (I assume that is okay and you don't need all of them)

The Requirement for Task Two is to post links to 3 of the products. HTH

TASK #1: COMPLETED

I usually unzip my files and put everything into folders. I keep the papers in the original folder and label it with the name and I put a photo of the kit on that folder along with the name of the designer and the shop they are in. So I see at a glance all of the marketing file pics and know the colors etc. in that kit. Then inside that folder I label other files with elements, word art, brushes, etc and put those items in those folders. For Scrapgirls I keep the kits intact but I make copies of the Jif and Nano kits so I can see them at a glance when I look at my KITS file. I copy any brush, style, template, etc. files and put them in tool files so if I just need a brush or template real quick I don't have to try to remember which kit they were in. Just go to my Brushes file and look or Style file.

I keep files for each website I get kits from. In those files I have a file for each designer I have kits from. Lots of work but it works for me.

I back up my files on an external hard drive. I also have Time Capsule that keeps things backed up. And I burn everything onto DVDs or CDs for a physical copy.

TASK #2: WELL.....I'm embarrased to say I have a million and one Scrapgirls kits and most have not been used...YET! It would take me forever to list them all. So I won't. But here are three of the ones I'd really like to use soon.

MPE - DATED DESTINATIONS COLLECTION BIGGIE

DEB - HIDDEN BEAUTY COLLECTION MINI

JRE - 12TH OF NEVER COLLECTION BIGGIE - JANUARY 2012 CLUB

Task 2:

I have bought a few products lately that I haven't used

one of my big goals this year is to scrap my sons artwork using the digidoer products so the products I own but have yet to use are

1) DigiDoer Christmas Collection

2) DigiDoer School Collection Biggie

3) ScrapSimple Digital Layout Album Templates: digiDoer pageGrids 01

January 3 - TASK 3

Look through your photos and find one or more you can use with the products identified in Task # 2.

Requirement: Post photo in this game thread. You can choose more than one photo, but you only need to post one in this thread.

How to post an image in your reply:

1. Size your photo at 72 pixels per inch and no larger than 600 pix wide.

2. Choose either "Add Reply" or "Use Full Editor"

3. Click on "Browse"; find your re-sized photo on your computer and click "open."

4. Click on the purple "Attach This File" Button. When it is uploaded, you'll see it listed with a small thumbnail in the Attachments dialogue.

5. Click on "Add to Post" located at the far right side of the image.

6. An attachment link will show in your post. Your photo will show up after you complete your reply by clicking the "Add Reply" button.

Task #2

Own but haven't used yet. JCO_ Value Pack: Ashley

">http://store.scrapgirls.com/p25849.phpScrap Girls Creative Life Collection Biggie

DEB_Auntie's Kitchen Collection Mini

***I can't seem to get my links to work. I copied the links from the boutique. ???

I think they work now. For some reason, I did the same thing over and over before it worked. ??? Thanks!

Task #2

">http://store.scrapgirls.com/p25849.phpScrap Girls Creative Life Collection Biggie

***I can't seem to get my links to work. I copied the links from the boutique. ???

Jean, here are some basic instructions - hope it helps.

To link products from the Boutique to your post do this:

1. On the product page in the Boutique, go to the address bar at the very top of the page, and click on it. Then press Ctrl+C (copy)

2. Go to your post and type the name of the product and highlight it

3. At the top of the post window, click on the little box that looks like a little piece of chain (it’s to the right of the smiley face)

4. Press Ctrl+V (paste)

5. Click on the Insert Link button. You will see what looks like a lot of gibberish is your post, but when you click the Post button, the post should contain the link (just the name of the item with the line underneath)

Task #2

Own but haven't used yet. JCO_Value Pack: Ashley

Scrap Girls Creative Life Collection Biggie

DEBAuntie's Kitchen Collection Mini

I think I connected them. Had a harder time getting them to work than usual.

Task #2

I think they work now. For some reason, I did the same thing over and over before it worked. ??? Thanks!

Task #2

Jean, here are some basic instructions - hope it helps.

To link products from the Boutique to your post do this:

1. On the product page in the Boutique, go to the address bar at the very top of the page, and click on it. Then press Ctrl+C (copy)

2. Go to your post and type the name of the product and highlight it

3. At the top of the post window, click on the little box that looks like a little piece of chain (it’s to the right of the smiley face)

4. Press Ctrl+V (paste)

5. Click on the Insert Link button. You will see what looks like a lot of gibberish is your post, but when you click the Post button, the post should contain the link (just the name of the item with the line underneath)

It looks like they are fine now Jean ;)

Archived