I picked 5 embellishments from ABR_Scenic Route to use in my final LO:

ABR_AYO_ScenicRoute_Flower-Red

ABR_AYO_ScenicRoute_Leaf-1

ABR_ScenicRoute_Emb_Flower1_Blue

ABR_ScenicRoute_Emb_Flower2_Orange

ABR_ScenicRoute_Emb_Cardboard2

Task #18

At last I have some new photos!

My photo is of ely cathedral. I wanted to create a timeless feel about the pic and disguise the fact that the lads playing on the cannon are in jeans and anoraks. The best way to do this semed to be to create a watercolour effect.

- apply PSE filter artistic - drybrush set to 10 for size and detail and 1 for texture

- apply a little gausian blur (1.5 pixels)

- create a mask using Brandy Murry's dynabrush Markers in a mid-grey

- copy the mask layer and put the photo in the middle of the 2 layers - like meat in a sandwich!

- clip the photo to the bottom layer (Ctrl G) which will give the uneven shape of a watercolour

- with the top layer mask selected, change the blending mode to screen

January 30 - SPEEDBUMP

Do you print your layouts? Share what kind of printer you have, the papers you use, how often you print, or if you use a printing service, tell us which one you like best. If you choose not to print any of your layouts, tell us why.

Requirement: Post you answers in this thread.

January 30 Speed bump

I print books, so I don't do it that often. Since I've only been scrapping a few months, the only book I printed (from scrapping) was one from our Alaska vacation this summer. (I've done several photo books in the past using different company's pre-made layouts.)

I have printed a few individual pages at Costco to check sizes - it's hard for me to visualize what a 12x12 page will look like from the smaller view on my laptop - and a couple of times to check colors. For example the layout I did yesterday for this game will need to be printed out. On my laptop the background looks dark pink-ish, on my mobile it looks orangey, and one of the comments remarked on the red. So I'm not sure what color will print!

I used Mixbook to print my Alaska book and the pages were beautiful but the book fell apart. They re-printed for me, which was very nice, as I had six copies, but I'm not sure it's very sturdy. In the past I've used Blurb, which turned out gorgeous. It's probably the difference between getting a soft cover (Mixbook) and a hard cover (Blurb). I like Blurb for the options in paper quality, cover styles, flexibility in the layout, etc. But I'm thinking of trying a book at Costco; I'd love to hear others experience of various print services.

Speedbump January 30th. I print some of my layouts. I have an Epson R1800 wide format printer, and I use Epson Scrapbook paper to print on. You can print on both sides and it comes out very well. I used to print all of the layouts that I did. Since I have been particpating in the SG Challenges, though, I do too many to print them all! I save the ones I want to print in a special fileand then print when I have several saved. The ones I don't print are saved in files according to subject, e.g. Family, Friends, Scenery, etc. I have never had a book printed professionally, but have several albums in mind that I would like to do that with.

1/30 Speedbump-

Printing- I don't print my LOs. IT COST TOO MUCH. Plus we only have a b&w printer. What I do do is at the end of a year I create a book for that year with LOs I completed of that year. LOs that are older or on other subjects, I eventually make into a book of their own. Sometime (when I get enough LOs completed) I plan on doing books of the following: Our Wedding, My LDS Mission (I need to start scanning these), a baby book for each of my children, a name book for each of the girls, my childhood, my teenage years, my family's trip to Thailand (when I was 19), my ancestors.....

I just do the LOs and save them. Only my favorite or best LOs will make the cut since the books are final and expensive to print. I watch for deals and make them in the 8x8 size. I am in the market for a new book printing company. I have been very disappointed with Shutterfly the last few times I printed with them.

January 30 - SPEEDBUMP

I print my own 8.5x11 layouts on a Canon Pixma ip4500 with Canon ink. I started off using Canon paper (73 lbs), but then went to whatever was on sale that was close to that, maybe 60 lbs..not the everyday paper, but the next step up. I try to print whenever I get a handful done, because I like to get them into a book right away (makes me feels like I'm accomplishing something then). I then put them in page protectors in a 3 ring binder. This way I can incorporate things that the kids bring home from school and put them in a page protector right next to a layout (report card, concert program, artwork, etc). I do print out most of the layouts I create since the purpose of my layouts is to record our family memories. I've only been doing this about 3-4 years...I only have 2011 fully done, 2012 almost done, current on 2013 :lol: ....hoping to go back as time allows to do other years, also working on a school book for each child that would be more of a "set out for graduation" type book. I have used Shutterfly and Pint Sized Productions for little books/themed books that were given as gifts.

Can't wait to read about other's methods!

January 30 Speedbump

I do eventually print most of my layouts. I wait till i have quite a few to print then i spend an afternoon printing. I use to print on I think an Epson wide format printer. which i liked because i could print true 12x12. However recently my husband purchased a printer for his biz that doesn't print a true 12x12 but prints so much quicker and truer to colors that I have switch to that one. I can print multiple pages in about 1/4 of the time. I usually make multiple copies of my pages for my different kids albums. I use 12x12 paper that I can print on both sides so it is helpful to me to have a bunch of pages ready to print, then I can just print from one to the next front to back on the pages.

TASK 17

Just took some photos & downloaded them this morning. I organize my photos by date taken, then by content in folders. For instance, I put them all in the proper year, then the proper month, and within that month I will break them into events or categories. I usually end up with a few odds and ends that get grouped together later or end up on my mosaic title page for the year.

January 30 SPEEDBUMP

I have a Canon printer that doesn't print good copies, so I never print my layouts at home. Most layouts are saved on my hard drive. When I do print for myself or others, I print at Costco since their prices are so reasonable. I have printed a handful of 12x12 layouts at costco at $2.99 each. I've also printed a few of my favorites in 8x8 (at only $1.49) and put them in an 8x8 scrapbook. I've also printed a few 4x6 prints and put in a photo book - at 13 cents a page.

I printed my entire 2012 year of Project 52 in 5x7 because each print is only 39 cents. I then put them in a 5x7 binder with plastic sleeves. Costco has always done an excellent job with any printing project.

I've used both Shutterfly and Snapfish for printing, but never of my layouts.

SPEEDBUMP

I have a HP 4-in-one and I will occasionally use satin photo paper to print a recipe card or birthday invitations. I choose not to print layouts or photos at home because I don't really like the finish on them, they seem to stick to the page protectors more. I also find the ink is cost-prohibitive.

I used to print 12x12s at Scrapping Simply (they are $1.99 ea). They come out stunning! I am leaning more and more toward photo books now so I generally save my work on my hard drive until I have an entire year ready to print. I really like Winkflash for their quality and price (they frequently run flat-rate book sales). I am trying to finish up 2012 so I can get it printed soon.

SPEEDBUMP:

I print my hybrid scrapbook projects, tons of them, but not my 8x8's or 12x12's. I agree with Jenna in that one could go bankrupt buying printer ink. I've used Shutterfly--happy with those books, and have used Costco once.

Currently seeking a company to print my 2012 books (2) which will go to each of my sons as well as their individual books. Will check out some of the other printing sites listed in this thread.

Here is my task #21, this was taken on New Years eve before plans for the party. We went to boundary bay near home and saw a bunch of owls isn't that so cool!! I couldn't believe how many were there. My owl page

up until last year I printed my pages I use a hp printer and hp photo paper and hp ink!! Got very costly so I started to go to costco!! This 2012 I thought I would print a photo book instead so i havne't printed any pages yet nor have I ordered books. I need a lot more pages to get done before I can make an order. I have made memory books with photobook canada ( go to photobook worldwide if your from elsewhere) and I love their quality of books but I don't like their emblishments or things so I thought I could try doing full pages of my pages instead of their premade books and stuffing in pictures!1

Archived