Jumpstart January 2013

April Showers

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Task 13

I hope this counts under pattern.

My husband bought me a book on graphic design for Christmas to help me with my layouts. I'm currently reading the chapter on seeing form and I'm very interested in the section on dots. I've been looking at the images in the book thinking how I could use them in a layout and wasn't getting anywhere until I saw on the opposite page an example using lots of overlapping dots of different sizes to give the impression of one dot. I am really intrigued to give it a go as a layout. I'm not convinced it will work but I want to give it a try.

January 24 - TASK 17

Transfer photos from your camera memory card(s) and organize or tag your photos using your preferred method. If all your photos are currently uploaded, you can take some new ones to upload for this task.

Requirement: In this thread, give a brief explanation of how you organize your photos.

I store my photos on my ehd...by date. I have a folder for the year, then within that folder, a folder for each month. I name my photos by date_name_sequence. So a file name looks like this 20130124_birds_1 or 20130124_birds_2...etc. This way I can see all the photos from one "event" and know if there are 2 or 50 pictures for that particular event. Then I can search by date, or event to find photos.

TASK #17

I keep my photos in folders by date. The folders are named, e.g., 2013_0124 for today's pictures. If the day is from a special event or a trip, I'll add that to the name, like 2013_0108_Florida. I use Picasa to tag them, which does a wonderful job at auto-magically recognizing faces and putting them in folders. I also have a few favorite tags that I use, like "bking" or "flowers." It works for me, and the organization has moved with Picasa on two different computer upgrades. I have all my photos tagged right now, but today is my husband's 65th birthday, so there will be more to do by this evening!

Task 17 done

Just had a 6th birthday party so I've got some photos to download and tag.

I download them to an EHD with a file called photos then subfolder with each year, then subfolder with each month. So 2013 would have subfolder 1301 Jan, 1302 Feb 1303 Mar, etc. Once I move them onto my EHD I rename them with year, month, subject (eg 1301_Isaac_Birthday)

I use Picasa to help me tag but also try to name photos so I can search for them easily (can pull up all Christmas pics easily throughout the years) I love Picasa's face recognition!

Task #17 I keep my photos on my computer until I am through scrapping them (although I don't think I am every really done because I keep going back to old photos to scrap!) Then I move them to an EHD. I simply organize them by year on the EHD. I wish that I had use the same file name system throughout but I haven't. I usually just name the file with the event or subject, but some of them also have a date. I really should go back and put dates on all the files. I'll put that on my to do list!! I like the idea of having seperate months in each year file. I have never thought to do that. Now that I am really into digital scrapping and taking lots more photos the past couple of years have a lot of files. Sub-categorizing by month would be helpful.

Task 17 done

I store my photos in Creative Memories Memory Manager. It stores them by the date taken and then as i upload them, I can add a little note with a set of pictures of what happened or anything else. This has helped me a great deal when I go back to scrap sometimes years later. The little note jogs my memory for a better journaling on the page. I back up the pictures to a EHD also.

Task #17

My camera is empty because I have not taken any photos since the new year. I download my photos regularly into PSE Organiser. I try to tag them immediately but that doesnt always happen I am quite strict with myself about tagging photos and many of my shots have multiple tags. Once a month I backup my photos onto an ehd with the PSE backup facility.

task 16 speedbump completed and links on my month end document.

left love in the layouts of Jumpstart January 2013, though, not 2012 as indicated in the original post. :-)

That is MY fault. Try as I might, I think I'm typing 2013, but my fingers insist on 2012. hit-head-with-hammer.gif

And if some links take me to the 2012 JJ Gallery, it will be fine too. ;)

Task 17 - COMPLETE

I just finished uploading my latest photos from my camera.

My basic organizational method is to import from my memory card into iPhoto where photo are sorted into events by date. I then go into the event and separate photos that might belong in another event/category.

Task 9 - Choose a tutorial from the Blog/Newletter/University - new technique

I chose http://scrapgirls.com/blog/using-gradients-in-photoshop-to-color-papers-embellishments-and-photos/ Syndee Nuckles 1/18/2013

TASK 10 - Go through the tutorial you chose and spend some time experimenting with and applying the things you learn.

Requirement: Post a link to the tutorial you chose and give a brief description of the technique you tried. Gradients To Color Papers

I selected a SS Paper and played with the gradient fill options. So many pretty colors and directions to choose from. Finally I decided on one with soft water-type colors ina reflected style.

TASK 11 - Still working on this.

Choose a color scheme for your layout or hybrid item. You may use Syndee's Color Swatch Action, create your own swatch, or use a

color palette included with a collection.

Requirement: Post a swatch or link to a collection that uses the colors in this thread. See the guidelines for posting images in Task #3.

TASK 12 - Create a layout or hybrid item using techniques you learned in Task 10 and the color scheme you chose in Task 11.

Requirement: Upload your layout to the Jumpstart January 2013 Gallery and share the link in this thread. Include the link in your month-end document.

Windsurfing

SPEEDBUMP -Updated Signature.

January 24 - TASK 17 - Complete!

Photos transferred from my phone/camera to EHD and organized (has been 2 weeks). Files are numbered by year-month with subfolders (i.e. 2013-01/School Play). Photo folders are copied to DVDs that are organized by year-month. Regular back-ups using Back Blaze. I’ve lost EHD’s in the past (prob heavy use) so I don’t rely solely on those; use only for “current working folders.” I make back-ups frequently and have been quite fortunate.

task # 18

I have downloaded pictures from my camera. There was stuff still from Chrismtas!! LOL

I download by daate and then I use PSE organizer to tag them by places/events and or people.

Finished 1/23 Speed bump.

Task 17: I can't fully complete until I get home again. I have been avoiding this since my husband needs to fix our net drive. Sometimes it is on the network and sometimes its not. So I have been avoiding not doing it so I can have my photos anytime while scraping. I've been pulling straight from my computer (or emailing them to myself if the photo was taken on my phone).

I organize by date. I have folders for each month. Sometimes if the month was super busy with lots of photos taken, I will open a second folder under that date with the event name and date on it.

Catching up!

Mon January 14 - TASK 10

I chose ~ http://scrapgirls.com/blog - "Introducing Pocket Life: A Quicker Way to Document your Memories!" by Angie Briggs

I've learned how to journal & square up my pages using Scrap Girls new fantastic technique "Pocket Life"... I experienced this technique in my Task #8 scraplifting & using this technique to achieve ~ Glimpses of Life @ http://scrapgirls.net/forum/gallery/image/140008-glimpses-of-life/ - Thanks for your inspiration April & other inspiring layouts in the Newsletters using Pocket Life :happy-sun:

Archived