Jumpstart January 2013

April Showers

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January 12 - TASK 9

Choose a tutorial from the Scrap Girls Blog, Newsletter or University with new technique you would like to try.

Requirement is included in Task 10!

can it be a technique that you're brushing up on (haven't used it in a year and can't remember how so need to relearn) or do you want it brand spanking new?

Completed Task 5 - Got links of layouts I commented on and saved as Favorites

Completed Task 6 - Chose layout to scraplift and photos to use

Completed Task 7 - Have meaningful journaling to use

January 12 - TASK 9

Choose a tutorial from the Scrap Girls Blog, Newsletter or University with new technique you would like to try.

If I want to try one of the hybrid crafts I haven't done before is that considered a new technique? Or, should it just be an actual techinique?

January 12 - TASK 9

can it be a technique that you're brushing up on (haven't used it in a year and can't remember how so need to relearn) or do you want it brand spanking new?

I was just reading your post about using the burn tool and read the tutorials Teresa recommended. Posted on there that I can't wait to use the technique in the SG University tutorial she found. Now I really have an excuse to use it!!!

Task #8. I backup my supplies and photos once a month onto an ehd. I usually do this after I've unpacked my latest Club delivery. I use the backup function in PSE for my photos and LOs. For scrapbooking supplies I use the normal copy/paste.

I find PSE very frustrating, espeically now I have so many photos etc. The backup takes forever and there are no reassuring messages saying that things are happening. At a number of stages in the process the computer just sits and blinks at me!

SpeedBump: All my scrapping stuff is saved on to an external hard drive that automatically copies to a larger external drive weekly. Its a bit touchy and sometimes if power fluctuates the process is interrupted. I do need to double check it now and again.

I'm a little behind with my tasks, so quick update to keep me on track - I'm a good way through task 8, I need to include some embellishments but struggling deciding where I want my title. Speed bump #2 is something on my task list anyway (I aim to check it is all working every 3 months). Task 9 I've bookmarked a few pages from the university to decide on.

When I write it out like that, it looks better than I thought :)

January 11 speed bump:

I use Carbonite as an ongoing backup, and I know it's working because I've checked it from another computer and was able to download files.

I had it turned off while we were on vacation, but it worked diligently all night and I am all backed up now.

I also do periodic (theoretically weekly but not always good about connecting) backups to an EHD using Windows backup. I have also restored from there, so, again, it's been checked.

January 14 - TASK 10

Go through the tutorial you chose and spend some time experimenting with and applying the things you learned.

Requirement: Post a link to the tutorial you chose and give a brief description of the technique you tried.

Task #10

Here is my link to a tutorial in SG University "Chalking Around PNG Brush Files Or Clip Art Using the Burn Tool"

This tut teaches you how to achieve a chalked effect on your layout by using the burn tool. I played around with it last week after reading about it in another forum on a question posted by Sanot. Teresa answered the question and posted this link. I decided then I was going to use it soon on a layout and then came to this forum and saw Task #9! It is really a neat effect that I have never used before.

January 14 - TASK 10

Go through the tutorial you chose and spend some time experimenting with and applying the things you learned.

Requirement: Post a link to the tutorial you chose and give a brief description of the technique you tried.

Valerie - are we OK to try a hybrid craft tutorial?

January 14 - TASK 10

Valerie - are we OK to try a hybrid craft tutorial?

A hybrid craft tutorial will work. :)

I am joining late and I have lots to do to get all caugt up I just finished task #1

I had so much in my zip files it took me an hour!!

I do the method that was taught by Ro way back when. I still do it taht way. I like it. I just need to unzip my files when I get them. LOL

Off to do more today.

Task 9 and 10

as I was looking for the next task, I saw ScrapGram's answer to Task 10. Since i hadn't picked a tuturial yet, that one caught my eye. What a great find. I could not find it in the SG unversity just looking, so I followed the link. Love it!

Here is the link again. Chalking Around PNG Brush Files Using The Burn Tool

I so cannot wait to use it on a page. I tried using a brush on a layer and then selecting that and burning around it like in the tutorial. That works just as well as a PNG file and then I didn't have to try and dig up a PNG file. I already had the brush in my PSE7.0 I am so seeing this becoming a big part of my scrapping now.

Thanks.

Archived