So Frustrated; Need Help With Blending

momvetkat

I just can't figure out after clipping a photo to a blending mask how to "blend" it into the background. There is always a lot o "black" which I can erase but even when I try to erase with a blending brush it doesn't look blended like the layouts I see on this site. Here is an example of what I am working on right now. Please help me. Thanks.OK - the site won't allow me to attach a file for some reason but there is black all around the back of the image (the mask) that I want either gone or a color that blends into the background and I don't know how to do it.

post-23342-0-70462100-1357498391_thumb.jpg

Hi Kathy - blending had me all confused at first too and I could never get it right.

What I usually do is plop the photo on the background and just erase around it's edges using a soft brush. You can lower the opacity of the brush as you get closer to the photo so to have different degrees of colors. There are many ways to do this - I'm sure others will be around to share their techniques. Good luck.

PS I also like to use Syndee's brush set: "Painted" as an eraser because it doesn't erase completely - it leaves pieces of background.

In addition to the good suggestions above, one thing I've done is duplicated my bg paper and clipped that to the mask first. Then I clip the photo to it. That way you can't distinguish the mask from the background and the photo just looks like it's blended into the background. Gorgeous photo, by the way.

Here are a couple of ideas.

1. Change the color of the mask to white (make sure you simplify the mask layer after overlaying a color)

2 Add a blank layer on top of your photo (make sure it is also clipped to the mask) then using a soft edged brush stamp over the black areas you want to remove in a light color in the photo)

If you want to blend the photo into the background, you need to change the blending mode of the photomask. Theresa pointed out some good tutorials. The 2nd post was mine and link to video tutorials on mu YouTube channel on blending. There are several that might help you.

I hope this helps!

Brandy (and everyone else who tried to help - thanks) The first thing I did was watch your tutorial on youtube. First question. How do I change the color of the mask to white? And should it be white just because this particular photo has a white background? What about other photos with darker but not black backgrounds?Do I change the mask color before clipping the photo to it? What is a good type of brush(can you name some because I really don't know what is a good soft blending brush) to use to overlay and erase? I truly want to do this well.

Kathy, I said white just in case your photo wasn't covering the whole photo, you mentioned the mask was showing through. It really doesn't matter what color it is unless some is showing through because the photo is smaller than than the mask. You could also enlarge the photo to rid yourself more of the black you don't want. You could use this technique in the future when your photo won't cover the whole mask and choose a color suitable to your background or color in your photo.

As for changing the mask color. I didn't see what PSE you were using. But I think you are using a brush as the mask? (It looked like one of the Junk in the Trunk Brushes, I could be wrong) If so, just make sure your fore color is white or the light color of your background then use the brush again to make another one. If you aren't using a brush then add a blank layer between the photomask and the photo and fill it with one of those light colors.

I always use my Background Blender Brushes and Mari J mentioned Syndee's Painted Brushes. You choose which is best for you, but those are good ones.

Hang in there, you will get it! It took me a lot of time to develop my own style too.

I am using Photoshop CS6 so don't understand simplify. The only way I know to change color of something is via Image _Adjustments_Hue/Saturation. I will attempt to do what you suggested. Don't know why I find this part so confusing. Just love the blended look!

I am using Photoshop CS6 so don't understand simplify. The only way I know to change color of something is via Image _Adjustments_Hue/Saturation. I will attempt to do what you suggested. Don't know why I find this part so confusing. Just love the blended look!

OK, that helps me, that is the program I use....

You would use "Convert to Smart Object" instead of "simplify" and for recoloring from black to white you can goto Image>Adjustments>Invert while you are on the Black Mask Layer. I hope I didn't confuse you wub.gif

PS... Here is another tutorial you might like on my blog. It has written instructions and Video Instructions. It's a little different because it doesn't use a photo mask, but it might be fun to try.

Breaking Down the Layout - Blending Video Tutorial 01

Archived