Feathering

Lynn M

Please help! I have PSP9 and Photo X2 but don't understand X2. I used to do very well with PSP9, but I had a stroke in '08, and I'm trying to get back to using it but I have comprhention trouble now. I used could take a pic and take a 2nd pic and use it to "ghost" my FIL and add it as a 2nd layer to make it appear as if my FIL is looking down from heaven on my MIL, as if he's watching over her. I used to do it all the time but no matter what I try I can't get it. Can anyone please tell me the steps to do this? I'd be ever so thankfull. Thanks for reading this. Lynn

Hi Lynn, Anna taught a mini-class on "ghostly images" a few months ago so I tried to look for my directions. This is what I came up with, but not sure it's what you want or need.

If you put the second photo/layer over the first one and adjust the opacity of the top (second) photo you can make it look sorta ghostly. You can play with the opacity levels and blending modes until you get the look that you want.

Does that help? Someone else will come along with more ideas, I'm sure.

Good luck and welcome.

Hi, Lynn! Welcome to Scrap Girls! You're in luck. Anna, one of our instructors, just did a tutorial/mini-class for our 8th Anniversary on ghosts. You can find the class materials here. If you have any questions, please keep asking. We love to help!

Thank you, MariJ and Nica. I'd really love the tutorial so much, but I will try MariJ's instructions also. I get flustered and lose what I've done if I get too tired and then I have to stop working on it till I take a nap and then start fresh. If I actually get it done I'll try to post it to show it before I give it to her. Thanks again. Lynn

Hi Lynn! Sorry I didn't respond earlier - the kids are still on winter break and things have been crazy around here. HERE is a link so you can download the tutorial to the mini class on Ghost Images.

If you want to combine two photos, with one being "Ghosted", I would start by creating a new document, and placing both pictures on it, with the picture that you want ghosted on top.

Reduce the opacity of the top picture (in PSE, the opacity slider is at the top of the Layers Palette. There is a screenshot showing where it is on page 4 of the tutorial. Play with the slider until you get the look you like (it will vary, depending on the photos you are using). You also might play with the Blending Modes, which is also shown in the screenshot on page 4 of the tutorial (where it says "Overlay). Again, the best blending mode will depend on the colors in the pictures you are using.

Then, an easy way to feather (or soften the edges) the ghosted picture is to use the Eraser tool. With the Eraser tool selected, you will see some options across the top of the screen. The first box shows the Eraser you have selected. Any brush can be used as an eraser. Under the Default Brush set, there are several round brushes with fuzzy edges. These would work great for softly erasing the edges of the ghosted image. You can adjust the size of the Eraser brush, and the opacity. Play with these settings until you get the look you like.

There are other ways to do this, but I think this is the simplest. Post again if you want me to upload some screenshots or if you have further questions. :D

Keep asking questions! We love to help.

Okay, ladies, I might have taken on more than I can handle. My comprehention and memory trouble won't let me make sence out of anything. I even woke in the night, excited 'cause I thought I got it. It's now almost 3pm. I almost had at one time. I had my FIL on top of my MIL and BIL, as if he was looking down from heaven, watching over them, but I didn't get the "ghosting" right and from there I did nothing right. To those that sent messages, thanks, but I couldn't even figure out how to find them and reply. I will try to post it to show how I did. Lynn

Well, it said there was an error -- #10740] Sorry, but that does not appear to be a valid image, but I see it posted. Don't know HOW I did it. Lynn

Well, I lost it but then found it. Don't know how it ended where it did, didn't know how to post it to any certain place. Lynn

Archived