The Organizer

Lor Bel

I use to use the Bridge for photo organizing but now I want to use the Organizer. My question is regarding the organizer in PSE. Are there a lot of problems with it such as missing files? Reconnecting the missing files. I have used Picassa way back like 5 years ago, then went to Bridge and now and feel that the organizer would be better.

What are you using out there in Photoshop PSE land??

Thanks

Laurie

I am one of the few people on here who use the Organizer and I love it! It is the only organiational system I have ever used. I have 30,000+ images in it and have never had problems with lost files. It will sometimes do some quirky things like freeze up or be slow, but otherwise works well. I have also upgraded PSE twice and have had no problems importing my catalogs into the new version. This time since I now have so many scrapping images I decided not to caalogue my photos in PSE. However, I read on one of the on-line PSE forums that you could store unlimited images in multiple catalogues. Since I don't keep my photos on my hard drive once I am pretty much done with scrapping them, I decided not to catalogue them in the Organizer. I would be happy to share my tagging system if you are interested.

I just started to use PSE 11 Organizer and I love it. I use it only for scrabbook stuff, not photos. I used to split my collections by type: paper by color, embellishments by type, alphas, etc. and I noticed I didn't scrap book much. I was more of a collector. I stopped splitting and keep collecion pieces in one folder. When I import collection folders intoto the Organizer, I can tag each piece with a key word: paper, embellishment > then type, alphas, etc. This will allow me to search in organizer by keywords.

I like to have Edit and Organizer pages open side by side. I can view my scrapbook pieces, zoom in and out, and then drag them directly into the Edit page.

For photos I use Lightroom.

Thank you Scrap Gram! Where do you keep your photos if not on the hard drive? I wonder what others use if they don't use the Organizer?? I'm going to be taking a class from another site that will be teaching how to organize scrap stuff and photos. That class starts next week.

I guess one of the problems with the organizer is that if you rename a photo outside of the Organizer and then move it into the Organizer that is when there is a problem finding the file. Have you had that happen?

Thank you again,

Laurie

I keep my current photos on the hard drive until I think I am pretty much finished scrapping them (which sometimes takes several months) and then I move them to an external hard drive. I am also in the process of scanning all of our old photos onto an EHD.

I have moved scrapping supplies outside of the Organizer and then the Organizer isn't abel to find them. All you have to do is go to File/Reconnect and it will let you browse to the folder you moved it too. Then it reconnects. It usually works really well, but I have had a couple of times when it wouldn't reconnect for some reason.

I'll get my tagging system to you in a day or two. How do you think the best way to do that will be? My email address is knicholsstc@comcast.net. If you email me directly, I will send you a Word document with all the tags listed. Will that work?

Archived