Moving Layer Styles To New Computer

Joey

I am setting up elements 10 in new windows 8 laptop. I have managed to move everything over from my desktop except for layer styles. I copy them to my external drive from desktop, but the styles are not there when I try to copy them to laptop. Can they not be copied and moved?

You should be able to save them in a folder and transfer them.

Whenever I buy a style I put it in a STYLES folder on my hard drive OUTSIDE of the Photoshop files. (I have one for personal use styles and another for commercial use styles.) I save them with a copy of the preview of what the style looks like in a folder with the .ASL file. You should be able to move these like any other file.

If you just load the styles into PSE and then don't save them elsewhere, if/when you have to uninstall and/or reinstall PSE, only the styles that come standard with the program will reload automatically. This goes also for brushes, actions, color palettes and fonts. SO, whenever you buy a style, action, brush, font or color palette, you should ALWAYS save it in a folder outside of PSE (even if you load it into PSE). Because you will lose it in the event of a crash or if you have to reinstall your program for any reason.

Does this make sense? Let us know if you need additional help!! :)/>

I've noticed that in PSE11 some of the Elements styles are not there anymore. The ones that I can't seem to find are the ones that have 'tone' after it. Ie: Green Tone, Blue Tone, Yellow Tone, etc. I liked them as they only added a light color to some embellishments (like a frame that had a design) and you didn't want the design to not show after adding a style.

Does anyone know what happened to them?

I've noticed that in PSE11 some of the Elements styles are not there anymore. The ones that I can't seem to find are the ones that have 'tone' after it. Ie: Green Tone, Blue Tone, Yellow Tone, etc. I liked them as they only added a light color to some embellishments (like a frame that had a design) and you didn't want the design to not show after adding a style.

Carol, mine are listed in the Styles panel under Photographic Effects. HTH

Unfortunately, NOW I know to save outside of Photoshop.

When I open the copied file on my external drive all the standard styles are there. The Scrapgirl styles are not copied. Just a white sheet of paper with the style name .asl under it.

Angie can help you get the links to anything you have purchased from Scrap Girls, so -- no worries! -- you can recover your lost styles. :)

She can be reached at hello@scrapgirls.com

Bless you! I've been going crazy trying to find them. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction, Theresa. I should have known you would have the answer.

Bless you! I've been going crazy trying to find them. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction, Theresa. I should have known you would have the answer.

Glad you found them Carol! :)

Archived