Add Layer Mask In Pse 7

sanot

I'm trying to follow the instructions in these two tutorials to learn more about layer masks Non-Destructive Use of Brushes with a Layer Mask and Layer Masks - A Quick Way to Trim Papers but both show how to do it in Photoshop CS2 or CS6 and I can't figure out how to transfer the into to PSE7.

Specifically it says to click on the "Add Layer Mask" icon at the bottom of the Layers Palette. I don't see that as an option in PSE7. I can create an adjustment layer with different options, but nothing says "layer mask"

can anyone help? I'm trying to use this for Jumpstart January, but am falling behind because I'm stuck on this step.

I'm trying to follow the instructions in these two tutorials to learn more about layer masks Non-Destructive Use of Brushes with a Layer Mask and Layer Masks - A Quick Way to Trim Papers but both show how to do it in Photoshop CS2 or CS6 and I can't figure out how to transfer the into to PSE7.

Specifically it says to click on the "Add Layer Mask" icon at the bottom of the Layers Palette. I don't see that as an option in PSE7. I can create an adjustment layer with different options, but nothing says "layer mask"

can anyone help? I'm trying to use this for Jumpstart January, but am falling behind because I'm stuck on this step.

PSE 7 doesn't have layer mask capability. Versions 9-11 do have layer masks. There was a class a long time ago that showed a work around to be able to do layer masks in PSE prior to version 9, but I can't remember how to do it now. Maybe someone else will come along with some ideas for you...

I can't remember how, either but in a class with Anna she told me how and I think it had to do with adjustment layers.

The class I took with Anna was "Yes, You Can Do Layer Masks in Photoshop Elements". It was a two-session class and it had to do with using adjustment layers. That's about all I can remember of it though. Since I went to PSE 9 and now PSE 11 I just haven't needed to use the adjustment layer work-around.

who's anna? how do i get ahold of her? is this too involved for me to learn quickly if it was a two-session class?

Anna is a Scrap Girls instructor who has taught many classes here at Scrap Girls.

You can get in touch with her by clicking on this link Anna, this will take you to her profile page, then click on Send Me a Message on the left side of the page below her profile photo. HTH

I don't remember it being hard at all, just a matter of remembering. I forget to as I have upgraded and have had the layer mask option for awhile. But I will go see if I can find the info in my training videos...

I think it had something to do with the little circle that is half one color and half another in the layer area. It's the create new fill or adjustment layer thingy, click on the levels one, as it doesn't do anything to the layer beneath right away. Then clip it to the layer you want it on having it right above it. Then click on the white square on the new layer you just created. Now go and make sure your color picker is set to default black and white. Then pick a brush, usually a nice scrunge one works well if you are blending. Then if I remember correctly, black makes things disappear and white makes them appear as your are painting. But I may have that backwards. Now I don't have an older version to check this out on. I hope I didn't miss a step. But don't give up. I know I was very frustrated at first because I would miss a little step and nothing would happen. After a bit you get the hang of it.

I think it had something to do with the little circle that is half one color and half another in the layer area. It's the create new fill or adjustment layer thingy, click on the levels one, as it doesn't do anything to the layer beneath right away. Then clip it to the layer you want it on having it right above it. Then click on the white square on the new layer you just created. Now go and make sure your color picker is set to default black and white. Then pick a brush, usually a nice scrunge one works well if you are blending. Then if I remember correctly, black makes things disappear and white makes them appear as your are painting. But I may have that backwards. Now I don't have an older version to check this out on. I hope I didn't miss a step. But don't give up. I know I was very frustrated at first because I would miss a little step and nothing would happen. After a bit you get the hang of it.

That all sounds real familiar Patsy. I think you've got it about right. It's just been too long since I've used any of it to be able to remember the steps. :)

I can't get this to work....guess I'll abandon this technique for now and do something different for Jumpstart January...frustrating to have older software when you're trying to use the tutorials...should've spent my Christmas money on PSE update instead of subscription to ScrapGirls Monthly club.

Archived