Scrap Simple Products

Pab

My almost year off from scrapping has caused me to forget a few things. I am so struggling with getting a SS product to look as nice as the examples do. This months SSClub flowers for instance. Look at these examples See how nice they look when finished? Here's how mine keep turning out no matter what route I take trying to get them done. My finished product always lacks in something. The colors are deep enough. The blue flower was done by adding a layer then filling it with color and clipping it to the flower and playing with the opacity. The pink flower was done by clipping a paper to it and playing with the opacity. The paper is attached also. I want it to have the exact look of the paper with the details of the flower showing through. I can't get it to look like that. The blue one is alright but there is a dullness, for lack of a better word, to the pink one.

post-16100-0-46998500-1358347474_thumb.png

post-16100-0-61235400-1358355126_thumb.jpg

I think the blue one looks great! It's sometimes hard to recolor objects with lighter colors, like the pink in your example. Try adjusting the levels (In PS it's Image>Adjustments>Levels or CNTRL+L), the curves (PS= Image>Adjustments>Curves or CNTRL+M) and/or the gamma correction, which is a slider under Images>Adjustments>Exposure.

Make sure you do this on a copy of the original or use, if your program has it, adjustment layers, so you don't inadvertently save over the original file.

HTH!

Now I haven't yet, I actually hadn't even downloaded the SSClub yet when I started the LO I am working on. I didn't think to do that... I scrap mostly later at night, so the old ticker does tick quite right sometimes.... Thanks Barbara for pointing out the obvious. lol

Well the tutorial made all the difference! But I still had problems with the pale pink and Durin said yellows and pinks were trickier. So here are my results. The first flower was how it was turning out at first, I wasn't happy with it. But playing around with blending modes more and finally having the thought to put a rose layer on top then blend got me super close to what I had in mind. The second flower was what I was going for and the third was just one that I liked in my playing around. That's what I like so well about this place, everyone is so helpful!! Thanks again Durin for being so helpful!!

post-16100-0-17649000-1358480722_thumb.jpg

Patsy, it looks great! The good thing about embellishment templates like this is that there is usually a way to get the effect you're looking for. :)

You can also colorize the bottom flower (choose the color you want, then go to IMAGE - ADJUSTMENTS - HUE/SATURATION - click the "colorize" box then OK, then slide the adjustments as you need to) then use the top flower layer to get more contrast by changing the blending modes.

Most of my best flowers are "happy mistakes". :)

Just play around with it, and please let me know if you have any problems. Always glad to help! :)

Archived