Old Software

mimes1

Hi Everyone,

With the new year comes cleaning, right? Well in my cleaning I have found several old software packages for old versions of PSE. I don't know what to do with these old outdated versions. I'm not going to use them, (I think,) but I don't think passing them down is the answer with licensing rules etc, and it kills me to think about shredding them or recycling the disks. It occurred to me that I should ask you all what you do with old software. So, what do you all do with old software?

Thanks!

LOL Amy, I am terrible to keep EVERYTHING! I have old software, old clip art - old everything stashed away in my office - none of which I can use any longer!

I'm planning on cleaning it all out one of these days and trashing mine! I can't see any reason to keep them myself!

The licensing rules do allow you to pass them on as long as they aren't still installed on any of your machines. Adobe doesn't really care who paid for it, as long as the current user has the license key.

Thanks April - this is good to know!

Maybe I'll hang on to them and eventually find a worthy cause for them. Knowing that the license can be transferred is good to know. I have all the boxes and codes and everything all together. Guess they'll stay in my closet a while longer! Thanks everyone for your comments.

Keep at least one of them unless you don't need it for reinstalling an upgrade. If you bought an "UPGRADE" version of a product, you often have to insert an old copy during installation, briefly, to prove your right to the upgrade. If you bought the current version "outright", you don't have to worry about it.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I would love to have a Photoshop version if anyone is willing to give one up. I have PSE10 but there are actions I would love to use and can only be used in Photoshop. Adobe no longer sells PS b/c they went to the cloud. Any takers? if so, I can be reached at momneedingcalgon@yahoo.com

I think you might need to keep the next to last version if your most recent version is purchased as an upgrade.

At least when I purchased PS CS4 as an upgrade from PS7, I had to insert the PS7 disk to get my CS4 license key to be accepted each time I rebuilt my computer.

If you bought the most recent version outright, then you don't need old versions, and you can give them away. I'll look for my PS7 disk for UpAllNite, since I am on PS CC now. (Love your username!)

Archived