7 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria TX

Victoria TX

Scrapper Next Door

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

I know that I've used the Clone stamp in the past to fix an irregularity in a family member's tooth. As best I can recall, I chose the Clone stamp, held down the Alt key and clicked on the "source" tooth, then clicked or brushed to fill in the chipped area. For some reason, when I try to do so now, the Alt Click seems to pick up the color of the source tooth, but whenever I try to click or brush to make my correction, I end up with a bright orange color instead of the creamy color of the tooth. I tried a different photo with similar results. Clearly, some setting must have been changed, but I'm at a loss to figure out what's wrong. I'm trying to complete an album for my mom's birthday & this is beyond frustrating. Any ideas as to what is going wonky? I'm sure it's "operator error," but can't figure out where I've gone awry.

Thanks,
Victoria in Texas

#2 Nica

Nica

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Creative Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,224 posts
  • Personal Statement:Love God
    Love Others
    Offer Hope

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

I'm not sure about PSE, but in PS when that happens I usually have one of two things going on: 1)I've forgotten to select the layer I want to copy from in the layers palette; or 2) in the clone stamp menu, the "Sample:" drop down is set to something other than "current layer." Hopefully, someone who knows more about PSE comes along with other ideas.

gallery_18472_304_721.gif

SGblinkie.gif

WT-Button-copy.gif SG_BB_LoveThis.pngButton_Welcome.pngButton_Layout.png      

#3 Victoria TX

Victoria TX

Scrapper Next Door

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thanks, Nica. When I hold down the Alt key, it looks like an appropriate sample is being copied, but that's not what I see when I try to "paste" the sample. I have the mode set to Overlay. Should it be something else? I found a workaround with the chipped tooth by using the Healing Brush, but I just wanted to eliminate a distracting light fixture from a photo & am running into the same issue with the sample not reproducing as expected.

The only "odd" thing I can think of that I did previously that may have goofed up my default settings is that I had played with a blending brush for the first time. Can anyone think of a setting tool that may have changed? Life intervenes & I don't get back to learning about using PSE for weeks at a time so it's difficult to recall what I might have fiddled with during my last session. |;-)

Thanks!
Victoria in Texas

#4 Victoria TX

Victoria TX

Scrapper Next Door

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

I cropped out an example of the light fixture I wanted to eliminate to see if I can show what's happening. I chose the Clone Stamp, held down the Alt key in a blank area of the wall to the right of the fixture & attempted to "paint" over it with a basic brush chosen and in Overlay mode. The After shot shows that instead of the sample overwriting the undesirable object, it leaves a weird "trail" over it.

Thanks,
Victoria

Attached Files

#5 PBarnes

PBarnes

• Members
  • 22,301 posts
  • Personal Statement:Digitally Addicted!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

If you are getting a bright orange, my guess would be that you are getting a mask but the Clone Stamp tool doesn't have a mask option in 10.

I would try setting the Mode to normal rather than overlay and see what happens. That's what I usually use.

#6 Victoria TX

Victoria TX

Scrapper Next Door

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Normal was the trick! Since I haven't historically changed anything on that menu, I didn't even realize the Normal option had scrolled out of sight. I don't have a clear understanding of what the various options do so it's easy for me to get confused when something gets changed. It's a bit like when someone accidentally taps the Num Lock key and can't figure out why the insertion point is flying around the screen and the numbers suddenly don't appear. |;-)

Thank you so much!!!

Victoria

#7 Nica

Nica

• Creative Team
  • 4,224 posts
  • Personal Statement:Love God
    Love Others
    Offer Hope

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Glad you figured it out!

gallery_18472_304_721.gif

SGblinkie.gif

WT-Button-copy.gif SG_BB_LoveThis.pngButton_Welcome.pngButton_Layout.png      

#8 Victoria TX

Victoria TX

Scrapper Next Door

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Gotta love this forum & the great Scrap Girls products!
Victoria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users