Pse 10 Clone Stamp Acting Weird?

Victoria TX

I know that I've used the Clone stamp in the past to fix an irregularity in a family member's tooth. As best I can recall, I chose the Clone stamp, held down the Alt key and clicked on the "source" tooth, then clicked or brushed to fill in the chipped area. For some reason, when I try to do so now, the Alt Click seems to pick up the color of the source tooth, but whenever I try to click or brush to make my correction, I end up with a bright orange color instead of the creamy color of the tooth. I tried a different photo with similar results. Clearly, some setting must have been changed, but I'm at a loss to figure out what's wrong. I'm trying to complete an album for my mom's birthday & this is beyond frustrating. Any ideas as to what is going wonky? I'm sure it's "operator error," but can't figure out where I've gone awry.

Thanks,

Victoria in Texas

I'm not sure about PSE, but in PS when that happens I usually have one of two things going on: 1)I've forgotten to select the layer I want to copy from in the layers palette; or 2) in the clone stamp menu, the "Sample:" drop down is set to something other than "current layer." Hopefully, someone who knows more about PSE comes along with other ideas.

Thanks, Nica. When I hold down the Alt key, it looks like an appropriate sample is being copied, but that's not what I see when I try to "paste" the sample. I have the mode set to Overlay. Should it be something else? I found a workaround with the chipped tooth by using the Healing Brush, but I just wanted to eliminate a distracting light fixture from a photo & am running into the same issue with the sample not reproducing as expected.

The only "odd" thing I can think of that I did previously that may have goofed up my default settings is that I had played with a blending brush for the first time. Can anyone think of a setting tool that may have changed? Life intervenes & I don't get back to learning about using PSE for weeks at a time so it's difficult to recall what I might have fiddled with during my last session. |;-)

Thanks!

Victoria in Texas

I cropped out an example of the light fixture I wanted to eliminate to see if I can show what's happening. I chose the Clone Stamp, held down the Alt key in a blank area of the wall to the right of the fixture & attempted to "paint" over it with a basic brush chosen and in Overlay mode. The After shot shows that instead of the sample overwriting the undesirable object, it leaves a weird "trail" over it.

Thanks,

Victoria

post-21257-0-58909300-1358727056_thumb.jpg

post-21257-0-60984300-1358727075_thumb.jpg

If you are getting a bright orange, my guess would be that you are getting a mask but the Clone Stamp tool doesn't have a mask option in 10.

I would try setting the Mode to normal rather than overlay and see what happens. That's what I usually use.

Normal was the trick! Since I haven't historically changed anything on that menu, I didn't even realize the Normal option had scrolled out of sight. I don't have a clear understanding of what the various options do so it's easy for me to get confused when something gets changed. It's a bit like when someone accidentally taps the Num Lock key and can't figure out why the insertion point is flying around the screen and the numbers suddenly don't appear. |;-)

Thank you so much!!!

Victoria

• 2 weeks later...

Archived