Cutting Files

mhm45

I like to make my own cards using PSE11. I would like to experiment with cards having cut-outs, and cut via machine not hand. I have been looking at the Silhouette Portrait as a start but cannot figure out whether it will do what I want to do. For example, make a card with a window cut out of the front so you can see through to the inside of the card; give the front edge a wavy look (or others). Due to arthritis, cutting things out manually is proving more difficult as time goes on. Does anyone have any experience with this, or can you suggest a site which can help?

Thank you

I have a Silhouette SD, an older model than you have, but yes you can do all that you listed above. Plus, you can import embellishments and use a print/cut function to use on cards, too! I absolutely love it! I have found youtube videos to be very helpful. Maybe you could look at a few to get an idea of what it can do.

I am not familiar with these machines, but I think it would be a good idea to try them out in the store. If you have arthritis in your hands, they may require more force than you can produce comfortably. Hope it works for you - hand-made cards are the best!

I have the Silhouette Cameo (just bigger than the portrait) and I've been able to print and cut png files from the collections without any trouble. It is fabulous for creating hybrid cards and layouts with digital supplies. I use the registration marks when I print and do the trace for the cutting. Everything I've tried has turned out perfectly.

If you get it, I'll write a little tutorial for how to use SG supplies with it, okay? :)

I've also been using my Silhouette Cameo to do print and cuts :) I have a tutorial project 'on the drawing board' right now using Syndee's Yesterdays Child Brush Set. I have them printed and cut out... now to color them up! Using the Cameo to cut is waaaay better than hand-cutting because the machine gets in all the little inside cuts as well. I highly recommend it!!!

I'm curious about Aggie's comment. Do these machines require any physical input from the user? I got the impression it was kind of like a printer, just insert the paper and let it go. (Obviously, you have to use the software, etc.) With my joints, I'd love to have things cut without physically having to do much.

I'm curious about Aggie's comment. Do these machines require any physical input from the user? I got the impression it was kind of like a printer, just insert the paper and let it go. (Obviously, you have to use the software, etc.) With my joints, I'd love to have things cut without physically having to do much.

Thank you so much for all the replies. I think I will go ahead with my purchase and will welcome any and all tutorials!

I have the Silhouette Cameo (just bigger than the portrait) and I've been able to print and cut png files from the collections without any trouble. It is fabulous for creating hybrid cards and layouts with digital supplies. I use the registration marks when I print and do the trace for the cutting. Everything I've tried has turned out perfectly.

If you get it, I'll write a little tutorial for how to use SG supplies with it, okay? :)/>

I have been looking at some of my many SG files and I am wondering if I could use some such as JRA_SSPaper_Edgers_NaturesBounty to make decorative cut-out edgers on cards?

No they don't require any physical input Monica --- I think Aggie may have been thinking about the Cuttlebug or one of the other cutting machines that require you to hold on to the machine and hand crank a folder or die cut and paper through it.

No they don't require any physical input Monica --- I think Aggie may have been thinking about the Cuttlebug or one of the other cutting machines that require you to hold on to the machine and hand crank a folder or die cut and paper through it.

Got it! Thanks. I'll have to put this on my wish list. :)

Yes, you could do that on the Silhouette, but I would be careful with super thin cuts when removing it from the sticky mat. Have fun with your new toy and check out youtube and pinterest for tutorials on how to do make these cuts.

• 4 months later...

Hi all!

I am new to this thread, but have been doing cards for years. I love my cutting machines! Yes, multiples. I have a Cricut expression which is good. it is limited by the cartridges that must be purchased. The Cricut Expression print and cut, which I also own, is no longer made or are the carts being designed. Mine was fantastic and fun, but for Cricut a bad deal. I now own a KNK Zing which is true print and cut. It uses Make the Cut software and does a bang up job on the emb. From Scrapgirls. But my all time fav was my sweet Silhouette SD...

Just my musings on a fun accessory!

Archived