Several Questions

Lynn M

I was told there's place we can post the non-digital SB pages and I found it, the question is since I haven't been able to do my pages non-digital yet while I'm re-learning digital, can I post some of older pages, if I can remember where to post my work. Also, I really need to do something about all the duplicates (running out of space and memory). We have 3 users on my computer. I use PSP and for some reason ALL my folders in PSP are listed in all the users accounts. I have the program to delete the dup's but I can't follow it. I did just a few folders and it said I was already out of space, or memory, whatever. I thought maybe I should put what I can on DVD's. Any ideas?

Hi Lynn - I think it's totally fine to post your older non digital pages. If you take a photo of them or scan them, you can get it into digital form for posting.

For your storage question, what kind of computer and what operating system is it? I'm guessing that you possibly aren't actually looking at duplicates, but rather each user is "seeing" all the contents of your hard drive. I'd be very careful before deleting anything. It is possible that you are out of space just due to your supplies and your layouts. One thing you can look at immediately is what is in your trash bin. I recently cleaned mine out and I had something like 16 Gigabytes in my trash!! That's valuable space when you are out of space!! LOL!

Some people use DVD's to back up their stuff, others use External Hard drives. Personally I prefer External Hard drives. It just becomes a duplicate copy of whatever you want to copy. For example, I back up all of my scrapbooking stuff, layouts and all of my photos onto an external. Most nowadays just plug into a USB on your computer and away you go.

Hope this helps!

April and BarbaraC(?) are good ones to ask about computer issues. If I can remember correctly, when a guest user is set up, you can have things in all the accounts, or not. Look under user accounts on your pc and see if you can set theirs up for only their files and yours for only yours. (Windows)

For instance in your user profile, they wouldn't need some of your PSP files.

* By not showing your PSP files in your family's user profiles, it doesn't delete anything, it just doesn't show them several times. Not sure if that would help you.

Like the others, External hard drives are the way to go, or you can save files to DVDs until you can get one.

Very good advice from mimes1! I have to keep my supplies and photos off my pc and on External hard drives and DVDs or it will slow down too much. I try to keep over half of my pc hard drive free for the programs to work in.

Just wanted to echo that and EHD (external hard drive) will be your new best friend! I have two, where I back-up files from my main laptop and store files that I don't use very often (or ever), but can't bear to part with.

I wouldn't delete anything from your computer unless you are very sure they are truly duplicates.

HTH!! Look forward to seeing your work in the gallery! :)

Great advice that everyone is giving you. Definitely an External Hard Drive is a good way to go. I have used both Seagate and Western Digital Externals. Like Jennifer, I have two that I use on a regular basis. One for regular back up and one that I keep everything I've ever done on it :)

Having just set up a new computer here's a few suggestions:

This could be a little bit of a time consumer, but I know when I create LO's I usually end up with a lot of layers in my files that I don't end up using. I'll add something and then decide not to use it and then hide the layer. So if you have time, open those files and get rid of any unused or hidden layers. I reduced the size of some of my files to 1/2 just by getting rid of the unused layers.

If you do go the EHD way, copy or back up all of your files to the external first. Make sure they copy correctly before you delete them off of your hard drive. (and yes, remember to empty that pesky recycle bin)

You could then keep a zip file of those items on DVD's just in case something were to ever go wrong with the external.

Don't delete the dups you see of your PSP files. They are most likely all pulling from the same source. They just show under each user.

Looking forward to seeing your work in the Gallery :)

If you belong to Costco, they almost always have EHDs on sale, and Staples has pretty good sales too. I actually have 5 EHDs -I know, maybe overkill, but I've lost all of my stuff once. Angie let me re-download it, though. I have the SG files I work with all the time just copied to an EHD so I can plug it in and do my work off of it. I copy all on that EHD to another EHD as my backup. My oldest EHD has all of my zips and other scrap related stuff on it. One EHD is just for photos, and my genealogy files. My other one is just miscellaneous stuff that I need to reorganize, but eventually will be used when I run out of space on one of the others.

One good one will hold a lot of stuff, though.

Oh my God. It took me about an hour and a halve ( you can see how much that took out of me) to reply to all in the group that replied to my questions and I hit the wrong key and I LOST IT!! I thank you all for all the help and it was really helpful, but I don't know if I can do it again. I'm really sorry.

Lynn

Try to do the reply I lost earlier. Thanks for the suggestion about the PSP not actually in all users decktop, just on the harddrive.

I don't have an EHD and wouldn't know what to do with it. I have 2 GB and 16 GB travel sticks and 2 512 MB and 1 2 GB disks, plus 1 travel stick that I have my GS lost somewhere here in my house, that I have LOTS of pics and documents on. I had wanted to make all new folders and put all the photos in a main folder with subfolders with different subjects for folders and then delete the old ones so I have all documents together, all photos together, all digital things, etc. together, and so on and so on and so on, and put them on CD's or DVD's.

My computer is Toshiba Satelite L45, Intel®Pentium ® Dual. Windows Vista Home Premium, Servise pack 2, Ram 1:00GB, system 32-bit operating system. Have 68.9GB used, 41.3GB free for 110GB. Hope I got it all.

Lynn

An External Hard drive is exactly what your sticks are, only they hold a ton more. You can get a number of different sizes. I even saw an advertisement for a 4 GB hard drive (Costco I think) for less than I bought my 350 GB 5 years ago! Crazy!

I have 5 Externals - one for all my scrapping stuff, one for all my photos, one for all my commercial stuff, and then two more to back up the first three onto. Both of these two are exact copies of everything, so I have what I call the "working drives", then two back ups. I figure they can't all fail at once! LOL! I basically don't keep anything on the hard drive on the actual computer.

Thanks, mimes1, that was very easy for me to understand, and hopefully to REMEMBER!! It will be a bit before I can buy even just one, but at least now I know what to shoot for. I've been bragging on this wonderful group.

Just a word of caution about EHDs...they crash. I had one with about 120GB of scrapping supplies.....gone. Some of the graphics were recovered but the file names were gibberish. Took a long time and a lot of help from Angie to get things restored. Have a second backup!

The other folks have already answered most of your questions and given you great advice.

Some Programs install "for all users on the computer" by default (most do, in fact.) When programs add YOUR content to the program location, such as Photoshop styles, and probably PSP tubes, etc, they're visible to all user accounts. The easy way to test the theory is put a small notepad text file, such as "JustTesting.Text" in that location, and then switch user accounts. If you can see it, it puts your mind to rest about duplicates.

In a slightly different way, "My Documents" has both "Public Documents" and My (private) Documents. You can do the same type of test there to see if the files are really duplicates or not. Edit it one account, and then view edits in another. Public documents are Shared rather than Duplicated among users.

Windows 7 and 8 also added Libraries, which are another way to see subsets of your files. The Documents library points to the My Documents folder. I have created a "Scrapbooking" Library, which points ONLY to the Scrap Girls files I have in a few major folders inside My Documents. It's super-convenient to use that Library, since I don't see all my other major folders in My Documents when I'm in the Scrapbooking library. I've attached a picture to show you what I mean:

The files are not duplicates of what's in My Documents; this is a "filtered" view of just the ones I selected.

Hope this helps. Welcome to Scrap Girls!

Archived