Moving A Very Small Object

A-M

I use CS6 and I am sure I read somewhere of a way to make it easier to move a very small object - move from one position to another on a layout. It was to hold down a certain key when selecting the object to move.

Hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks Sandi

That is possibly what I had read but it does not seem to work for me. Do you keep holding down the ctrl key? It makes the object pull out of shape for me.

Ok, if you have one of the the transform control point on the border of the layer, it will allow you to distort. If you hold the ctrl key down and select in the center of the layer of that object you can move it. If its really tiny, like a brad or staple, you sometimes have to zoom in a little to be able to click and hold within the transform control borders. Its much easier with a tablet and pen than a mouse.

I don't know if this is any help, but in PSE (9 or 11) be sure the object layer is active and if you hold down the Shift key and an arrow key at the same time, the object will move quickly. You can also hold down the Ctrl key and an arrow key at the same time, and the object will just move a little slower. HTH

Thanks Sandi.... I think it was that I was touching the little anchor points .. I do use a pen and tablet

Theresa..... I thankyou for the shift and arrow.... just tried it in my CS6 and it is wonderful.

I am trying to move numbers in a calendar template - SNU_Editable Calendar as it was for 2012, I need to move the numbers for my Project Life pages this year.

if you have the move tool selected,and your item layer highlighted, you can hold down an arrow key along with the shift key to move the item in 10 pixel increments, or in 1 px increments when you hold down the control key with the arrow key. Also, for really small items that I have a hard time grabbing, I turn off the "Show transform control" at the top of my work space when the move tool is selected. Then I can grab anywhere in the object and not worry about distorting it. Another trick is to turn off the "auto select", and you won't accidentally select another object when you try to move something.

if you have the move tool selected,and your item layer highlighted, you can hold down an arrow key along with the shift key to move the item in 10 pixel increments, or in 1 px increments when you hold down the control key with the arrow key. Also, for really small items that I have a hard time grabbing, I turn off the "Show transform control" at the top of my work space when the move tool is selected. Then I can grab anywhere in the object and not worry about distorting it. Another trick is to turn off the "auto select", and you won't accidentally select another object when you try to move something.

I do what Amy does. :)

Thank you Amy, I like those tips too as I just tried them. But you need the "show transform control" for resizing the objects but then it is so easy to just switch it back on.

I just zoomed through moving all the dates on the calendar page, thanks everyone

Archived