Template Question: Color Clarity

Victoria TX

A question I keep forgetting to ask...

I've mostly created pages from scratch, but have a question about using templates. Using PSE 10, I choose a color I like and see it properly displaying in the bottom left corner of the tool bar (sorry, I can't recall the name of that area...the default displays as black & white squares). I choose the layer that I want colored and make sure the selection handles show that I have the right layer in the work area. I then choose

Enhance

Adjust Color

Adjust Hue / Saturation

Check the Colorize Box

A color change does occur, but it's not consistent with the color I've chosen. For example, just now I experimented with an SNU ScrapSimple Collage frame. The color displaying in square below the tool bar is a bright, vivid turquoise for this test, yet the frame turns a rather pale blue. A bright vivid blue displays on the frame as a pale purple. In this case, I rather like the effect, but that's often not the case. Indeed, often the placeholder grey is replaced by an ugly, "muddy" version of the chosen color. I think I'm properly following the steps from the instructions for SS templates, but must be missing a vital step along the way. Ideas???

Thanks!

Victoria

There are several different ways to color the templates and I don't use the same method for everything. It really depends on what I'm coloring and the color I want.

First, when you use the colorize box, it will give you the correct hue, but you'll usually need to adjust the saturation and lightness sliders to get the color to match.

I use color overlays with blending modes a lot when coloring ScrapSimple Items. Look in the 1 Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Instructions Handbook (Free ScrapSimple basics eBook) for more ways to color your ScrapSimple items. There is also a ScrapGirls You Tube Channel with even more tutorials.

I'm interested in the answer to your question also. I've had that happen to me. Are you in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements? Hopefully someone will come along and answer you soon.

Welcome, if I haven't said it before.:)/>

I've downloaded the handbook. I know that I got the instructions about the colorizing check box from the Scrap Girls website initially. A quick glance at the Handbook shows that I've seen some of the pages before, but I'm obviously doing something wrong. Thanks for the link!

Victoria, Too Many Interests, Too Little Time / Money / Energy!!! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:/>

Hi Victoria, and welcome!

The clue is in what April said about using the sliders after you've "colorized" your item. I also use PSE, and have found that I have to play with the saturation and the lightness/darkness sliders -- sometimes quite a bit -- until I get the color to match that little square. Your light blue probably needs to be more saturated and more dark before it will look like the vibrant turquoise you want. Hope that helps!

I too have found the same thing as Diane and April. I always have to adjust saturation and light/dark slider to get the exact color. I used to try to adjust the color on individual items before placing them on my layout, but then discovered it is much easier to match the color to something else on your layout if the item you are coloring is also on the layout. Really a simple thing, but it took me awhile to figur that out!

I also change the BLENDING mode of the color layer. It affects the mix between the light/med/dark grey of the template and the color layout on top.

Another method, you can select the template layer, and CTRL + CLICK on its thumbnail in the layers palette. That selects that layer, and you get the marching ants around it. Then just click Alt + Delete (in PS, can't remember at the moment for PSE) to color the template DIRECTLY.

I don't use Photoshop or pse, so I'm not sure if I'm suggesting something that's already been mentioned, but have you tried making a plain layer with the color you want (you can specify the rgb then use a fill) and then blend it to your template. You can then play with the opacity and/or blending modes. My experience with colorize is it can be a little hit or miss if you want a specific color and the default colors are very bright. As April suggested, try turning down the saturation and/or brightness.

Archived