Rectangles With Rounded Corners

Monika13

How do I create rectangular paper mats with rounded corners? I've been using crop tool to cut paper into smaller pieces like rectangles and strips but they always have regular corners. I would like to have a rectangular paper mat with rounded corners. TIA for your tips

If you are using either photo shop or elements, select the rectangle tool. At the top in the options box you can select how much of a roundness you want on the corners. Then just draw your shape and then you can either use it as a cutting tool or as a photo mask and clip your photo right to it.

Hope this helps!

Monika, in PSE, you can use the Rounded Rectangle Tool (shortcut U) It's nested with the Custom Shape Tool. As Amy mentioned, once selected, you can set the radius to the amount of roundness you want the corners to be. HTH

So I think I'm doing something wrong because when I click on the rectangular tool and then draw the rectangle on the paper, it creates a black rectangle on my paper. Am I missing a step?

Thanks!

Monika, are you using the Rectangle tool or the Rounded Rectangle tool? You need to be using the Rounded Rectangle tool - they are both nested in with the Custom Shape tool (the shortcut is U) Once you have the Rounded Rectangle tool selected, look in the Options Bar and adjust the radius to the amount of roundness you want on the corners. HTH

Here is what you do. Now that you have your white rectangle on your workspace, you will see that a layer has been created for it. Place your paper layer above the shape layer that you just made. Select both layers by holding the control button while you click each one. Now both layers should be blue in the layer palette. Now, clip the paper layer to the shape layer by the key command "Control - G" in PSE and "Control - Alt - G" in Photoshop CS. Now your paper takes on the shape of the rectangle below.

Archived