Printer Help

notsosavvy

I am hoping someone can give me some pointers on this. I have an Epson Stylus Photo R1900,a wide format printer.It is leaking black ink.I contacted Epson on line and they walked me through cleaning heads and such Have done that several times,but it uses so much ink and did not fix the problem.Anyway I have been told it may need a new head which is expensive.I would like some ideas on buying a new printer,wide format.What do you use and is the ink expensive.I am really disappointed in this printer. Have only had it about 5 years.Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

I had an Epson 1270 wide format for 10 + years and recently replaced it with a canon. I don't know much about replacing heads on printers, but the cost of printers has come way down in recent years. Ink is expensive no matter what brand you use. I don't have any specific advice, but someone will come along soon I'm sure. In the meantime, you could google it and find what's current on the market and what the costs are.

I stopped printing pictures at home years ago. It was just soo expensive wiht inks and photopaper. IMO printing at Costco or shutterfly is much cheaper. And shutterfly offers like 100 free 4 x 6 photo prints if you register with them.

I know it is expensive and I do have my pictures printed at shutterfly or snapfish,but I sometimes like smaller pics and none of the m offer that.I have been searching for a Cannon wide format. I guess they do not make one. I have been unable to find one for home use.

My Canon is not wide format. I print up to 8 x 10 at home. Everything bigger I farm out to Costco. I just did a quick google search and it looks like Epson and HP both have home use wide format printers available. It looks like the Canon is industrial. They seem to be available at local office supply stores like Staples, Office Depot and Office Max. You might consider looking at them in person and see if it meets your needs. You can always check out the cost of the ink in the store and talk to a sales rep for more info.

Thanks for more info. I am looking at the Canon Mark II Inkjet Photo Printer PIXMA Pro9000. I found at Amazon. Does anyone have this printer.I have some questions about it like does it still print when one cartridge is empty and can I print with black only?. I live in a very small town and am about 2 hrs away from the City where I could check them out in person,but not feasible right now.Thanks to all

I have the Canon Pro9000 Mark II and love it. It prints great pictures and layout pages in top quality. There are 8 print cartridges and the cost is around $22 Cdn for each replacement. This is a wide printer (13"). The only thing I found is that the first page prints slowly but each page thereafter is faster. I am biased towards Canon as that is all I'll buy, partly because of the variety of cartridges, but mainly because I really like the quality of print. I used to print out all my layouts to insert into a binder and the quality was always top notch. I give this printer my 5 star endorsement.

I'm using the Epson R2880 and love it! the R1900 is great for glossy, but not as good for matte prints, which is what I do. I've not used or seen the new Canon printer yet. Canon has been trying to improve their printers and get some of the pro market away from Epson. Wish I had some experience with it. I have a smaller Canon printer which is ok for everyday use, but I'm not really impressed with the quality. And I agree with the comment above....all ink is expensive and gets used up really fast.

I have the Epson R1900 and it leaks black ink.I guess all the printers with several cartridges will not print if one is empty. How does the paper feed, front or back? The cartridges are expensive,Epson were only $14. Do you buy your ink from Canon? Only have WalMart here and they only carry HP ink.Is it longer than 24 inches?Thanks for all the information.

Well I am still confused. Not sure what I want,but I do thank you girls for all the help and information.The 900 looks really good but not sure I could squeeze it on to my desk. The one I have hangs over about 3 inches.All your suggestions really help,I'll just keep looking. Is there a good place to find good reviews on printers?

Well I am still confused. Not sure what I want,but I do thank you girls for all the help and information.The 900 looks really good but not sure I could squeeze it on to my desk. The one I have hangs over about 3 inches.All your suggestions really help,I'll just keep looking. Is there a good place to find good reviews on printers?

I always start with Amazon for reviews. Canon's website also has good reviews. Not sure about Epson. I have to order the ink for my Epson R2880. Local stores don't carry it.

Just found this question. I use an Epson Stylus Photo 1400; it's about three years old, and prints up to 13"x19". It takes six cartridges, and they're listed as "high capacity" (#79). They're not cheap, but they last a long time. It is big - I have it on a printer stand next to my desk. I don't print photos, but I do print most of my layouts, both 8"x 8" and 12" x 12", on glossy paper, as well as newsletters on matte, and I've been quite happy with the output. Hope this is helpful!

jhbren how long have you had your Epson 1400?Is it a wide format? The Epson I have is leaking black ink and have only had it 5 years,so I am a little leery of Epson right now,however I liked the printer and the way it was so easy to order refill inks from Epson.

Thought I would let you all know I finally decided on a printer.I ordered the CanonPIXMa IX6520. It is a wide format and will fit on my desk space. Thank you all for the information and suggestions.

Make sure you let us know how you like it.

Archived