#1 msgb

msgb

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hello,

I can't figure out how to make a selection on one of Mandy Steward's Life Journal Paper Templates. Life Journals. The files are .png files and not layered files.

How can you NOT select the spirals and the black holes like it shows in the marketing picture? I can't seem to get it. Thanks for any tips and instruction.

Thanks,
Melinda

#2 mbc72

mbc72

Keep calm and scrap on!

• Creative Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,100 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hi Melinda, I looked at these files, and I am not sure what you are trying to do, specifically, but can tell you that when I am working with a .png instead of a .psd file and want to isolate a certain section I use one of 2 tools- either the magic wand tool to select certain areas of the same color, or the lasso tool. If you are trying to recolor the paper part, but not the spiral, one method would be to creat a new layer with the color and blending mode set, then erase the sections on the color layer that you don't want to have colored.

Does that make sense? I use PSE10, what program are you working in?

gallery_8176_229_23474.png

Button_Layout.pngButton_Published.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif
SGblinkie.gifBLINKIES_Blessed.gif

#3 msgb

msgb

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thanks. I'll keep playing with it. There surely has to be a way that isn't so tedious. I'm still pretty new at this stuff but I love it.

Thanks,
Melinda

#4 Pab

Pab

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Hi Melinda. Yes since they are just pngs, I would use the wand tool and make sure the contiguous button is ticked. Then proceed to select all the areas you want. You have to have the wand set to add to the selection though or it will just reselect each time instead of adding to it. Does that make sense?
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 msgb

msgb

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Thanks. I played with it a little and changed the tolerance some as I went along. It's going much better than yesterday. I actually selected everything using Ctrl Click on the layer, then used the magic wand to delete from the selection the circles and the spirals. That seemed to work pretty well. I'll work at fine tuning my skills.

Thanks again for the tips ladies.

Melinda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users