Computer Backup

lorac

I am currently using Backblaze for my computer backup. I pay $5 a month for both hard drive and external drive. I've not been happy with them since my external hard drive crashed last year. I had lots of problems trying to restore my files and then finally restored most of them. A lot didn't restore because of the length of the file name. One of Vista's dumb quirks.

Now my desk top crashed and I'm currently using my laptop and I told Backblaze what happened. I 'assumed' that they would continue to backup my external drive and my laptop. Wrong! They haven't backed up anything in over a month, nor did they advise me of same.

Now I had to reinstall their software. It now shows me as being a new customer on a 15 day trial period. It says that everything has been backed up, but when I go to look no files are listed as being backed up. I am so tired of this company and I want to change to another service.

I used Carbonite before, but then had problems with them. Changed to another company and then they tripled their fees.

I see that Carbonite charges $99 for both hard drive and external drive. Does anyone use them? Or is there another, better, company out there that you could recommend. I'd appreciate any help.

I am very happy with Carbonite. I've used that service for almost 6 years. I've had to restore my files twice, once when I updated my computer and again after my motherboard caught on fire. The most recent restore took only a few hours which was remarkable considering I have thousands of photos backed up. I also use Carbonite as a backup for my business. Their customer service is great. I can't say enough nice things about them.

Being a Mac user the built in software 'Time Machine' has saved me many times when I write over a file. It is so easy to restore the original. For me a reliable backup is essential.

For my EHD I use a program called 'Carbon Copy Cloner' to make a copy onto another EHD. After the initial copy (backup) it simply adds the new files. You can schedule a time for it to run automatically. I find this makes backing up quick and easy.

Hop that helps someone. :)/>

Carol, I think you and I have followed the exact same back-up company path. I currently have Backblaze too. I had to do a partial restore with them and it was a hassle. My subscription is good until September, I think, so I'll be re-evaluating at that time. I'm seriously considering doing what Amy is doing.

Being a Mac user the built in software 'Time Machine' has saved me many times when I write over a file. It is so easy to restore the original. For me a reliable backup is essential.

For my EHD I use a program called 'Carbon Copy Cloner' to make a copy onto another EHD. After the initial copy (backup) it simply adds the new files. You can schedule a time for it to run automatically. I find this makes backing up quick and easy.

Hop that helps someone. :)/>/>

Hi Healthyscraps

I have heard good things about Carbon Copy CLoner. How does it work ? You mention that you make a copy onto another EHD, so do you have two EHD"s.

Thanks,

Laurie

Archived