Photo

Upgrading An Antique, Port Brushes, Etc?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 medi8Amy

medi8Amy

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

I hope I'm posting in the right place: It has been many years since I have participated here, and my hardware and software will prove that. :hit-head-with-hammer:/> So, maybe someone here can let me know what to expect? I am still using my old wonderful macbook, having just upping the OS to 10.6.8 in order to have Kindle. Now I find I need to go up to Lion or Mountain Lion in order to use some cool apps I want on my phone... to give you perspective of antiquity, , I just sent my very first text one month ago!... we really have been comfortable in the tech stone age...LOL! OK, so, for my digital scrap work, for 8 years, more or less, I use CS3. Happily, No complaints, but it cannot be upgraded and CS6 is out of reach financially and also overkill. I am thinking of going back to elements (thats where I started before I had the fantasy of getting really good at this... :embarrassed003:/> but that would still leave me not knowing if my investment in brushes, styles, etc, will port over and what I should expect before I do anything... any ideas? advice? :please:/> Thanks for being there. Amy
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 JenniferZ

JenniferZ

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Design Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts
  • Personal Statement:Strong Women: May we know them. May we raise them. May we be them.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hi Amy!
CS3 is just fine -- no need to upgrade! :) Is it not working with your new OS? You can go to the new Elements if you prefer -- all of your brushes, shapes and digital collections will work perfectly there. MOST of your actions and styles should work, but you may find that a few actions or styles don't work, if some of the settings they use are not available in the Elements platform.

Hope this helps and if you have other questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

spring10siggy.png
Button_Designer.pngSGblinkie.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#3 alsoarty

alsoarty

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Creative Team
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I also have a fairly old *5 years( MacBook Pro - and it won't let me upgrade to the latest OS. But that's ok for now, I will get my iMac soon( I am planning on that anyway, I may have to sell a kidney to get it). In answer about PS3 and/or Elements. I'd get the PS11, but still keep your CS3. The brushes and all your presets can easily be used in Elements as well. Like JenniferZ says, some may not work (actions) but you can always still do those layouts in PS3. Good luck and just ask for help anytime.

gallery_19737_4317_11742.jpg

SG_LongLive_72_zps19f45c47.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifSG_Olympian.pngMW-2013-Blinkie.gif

#4 BarbaraC1977

BarbaraC1977

Organizational Diva -- loves to play with supplies!

• Members
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

I don't know the location on a Mac, but you can also copy the action files (.ATN), brushes, and so forth to a backup medium, so you can always add them to any new product you buy now or later.

gallery_17172_358_42296.png
Scrap10-Blinkie.gif  SGblinkie.gif  SG_BB_LoveThis.png  BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
Scrapper | Wife | Mother | Friend | Soprano | Traveler
Rotarian | CEO, Auction Systems
| Recovering Perfectionist

#5 PBarnes

PBarnes

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 22,301 posts
  • Personal Statement:Digitally Addicted!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Good to see you back, Amy! I don't really have anything else to add - just wanted to say hello.

#6 healthyscraps

healthyscraps

I Made it! I'm a Top-Dog Scrapper

• Design Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • Personal Statement:"Sometimes a set back can be a launch pad."
    - me

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hi Amy, nice to see you back at Scrap Girls. Like Jennifer said your CS3 should be fine. I too do not rush to upgrade. It is a bit like that old saying, if it ain't broke... Enjoy scrapping and if you have any more questions please ask. :)
Jacqui Smith | Product Designer

A sneak peak with more in store...
JSM_NipTuck_Coll_MKTG_150.jpg JSM_NipTuck_Alpha_MKTG_150.jpg JSM_pG-M1-1_SSA_12x12_CU_150.jpg JSM_SSActions_NeonSign_CU_150.jpg SG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif
Visit Store Visit Gallery

#7 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Amy!!!!!!! So good to see you back. You should be ok using CS3, but I understand PSE11 has so many of the great features on the full PS programs, even some of the things introduced in CS5 and CS6. Almost all of your previous stuff should work.

Welcome back, you've been missed!
Posted Image

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 medi8Amy

medi8Amy

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Amy!!!!!!! So good to see you back. You should be ok using CS3, but I understand PSE11 has so many of the great features on the full PS programs, even some of the things introduced in CS5 and CS6. Almost all of your previous stuff should work.

Welcome back, you've been missed!

Thanks so much, I have missed spending time here..
:bighug: ! I feel like a dinosaur!
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users