Introduction And Question

zelda72

Hi!

My name is Cris... but according to my 5 yr old nephew my name is Aunty Zelda thanks to my brother. LOL

My digital scrapbooking journey started about 15 years ago. I started with Paint Shop Pro, then onto PS Elements, and now I'm using PS exclusively. I love the freedom and endless possibilities to digital scrapbooking and how "mess free" it is!

Although I'm not new to digital scrapbooking or scrap girls and am new to all these new and marvelous page templates. Well, they seem new to me. I don't know why I've held back on exploring these more. I do have a question about them. I understand the concept of the templates and know how to use the layers and masking in the psd files, but what are all the individual png files for? Some of the templates I've collected have upwards of 40 individual png files and just wondering what their use is.

Thanks much!

Cris

aka Zelda.

Welcome to Scrap Girls! I'm so glad you took the time to introduce yourself. The layered files in the templates are for PSE and PS users. Other programs like Paint Shop Pro can't read these files, so the png images are included. Scrappers can use those files to "build" the template and then save it as a file that their software can read. It's the same thing with brushes, too. Some times I use those png files when I only want part of the template for my layout instead of opening the whole thing and dragging over what I want to my layout. Does that help or did I confuse you more, lol?

Hi Cris,

You may have set a record for the time between you signed up and your first forum post. ;) We're happy you're here!

I know some people who just use the psd files delete the png files. I think PSP can open the psd files too, but there are several more limited programs that will only accept the jpg and png files.

Hi Cris, welcome to Scrap Girls! You've been given some great advice. Let us know if you have any more questions. We'll be looking forward to seeing you around the forums soon. :)

Hi Cris!

Everyone has given you lots of information, so just wanted to say WELCOME to the friendliest little purple place on the planet for divi-scrapping, new friends, and a fabulous boutique.

And keep asking questions! We all do!

Hi Cris, and welcome to Scrap Girls. Welcome aboard.

I make a low-res jpg of the template PSD as a "Preview" and delete the PNG files, also, unless there's an interesting shape or texture that can function on its own as a mask. The PNGs are there for people who don't use PS or PSE (I used to be one of them, and really appreciated those files.)

Hi Cris and welcome to Scrap Girls :) PSP does read the PSD files, but other programs may not. Just delete those png files if you don't need them.

You can always go back to the zip file and extract them if you find that you need them in the future.

Looking forward to seeing your Layouts in the forum!

Hi Cris,

It is so nice to meet you! :cheeringdog:

Our more recent products include the PSD files but older products do not, as they were created when smaller downloads were needed because many of our customers were on limited bandwidth. So if you purchase a product and only receive the PNGs, just place them in your Photoshop document as separate layers.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived