Small Point & Shoot

tinkerbell11

Hi everyone I was wondering if I couldget some good ideas for a new point and shoot for the diaper bag ( so small, but not tiny) , I have a hard time bringing my larger camera and I need something fast to catch Miss Ava who is ALWAYS in action mode LOL! Would appreciate all/any help, I would like something with a great quality photo result since I will be using this camera alot so using in my ScrapBook pages! Thanks!

Shannon,

I can't suggest one to buy but can say that I do not recommend a Kodak Easy Share C360. I've had this one for a long time though so they might have gotten better but I wasn't happy with it. So I bought a DSLR about a year ago that I love. I do understand that it's a pain to carry every where with you though. I have an iPhone that I use a lot when I'm out and it takes good pics in my opinion. I am sure many will come along and give you some great recommendations.

Shannon,

I can't suggest one to buy but can say that I do not recommend a Kodak Easy Share C360. I've had this one for a long time though so they might have gotten better but I wasn't happy with it. So I bought a DSLR about a year ago that I love. I do understand that it's a pain to carry every where with you though. I have an iPhone that I use a lot when I'm out and it takes good pics in my opinion. I am sure many will come along and give you some great recommendations.

Patty,

I did think about getting a better phone because of that I am always taking her pic with it and it is old LOL ! Thanks!

I also have a Nikon Coolpix, a model S550, and I love it. Nikon is known for superior optics and this little camera proves it. The quality of the photos I take with it is just as good as those I take with my DSLR. It's small, but not extremely. And I got it in a cool purple shade! I never leave home without it.

Canon S-100 or S-95. You can shoot in manual and RAW files too. Very versatile, a little bit more substantial than credit card sized cameras, excellent quality. They both have many features of a DSLR. Check the Canon site.

My iPhone has great photography capabilities and its always with me. I've heard it said the best camera is the one you have with you.

I have a Nikon CoolPix L18 that I carry in my purse all the time and it takes great pics and I love it! It's small enough to carry around but still take good pics and even videos too. JMHO

Of the ones mentioned above - how are they at shooting in natural light, without a flash? That's what I always look for since so much of my work is in church services where I can't use a flash.

Thanks!

The Nikon Coolpix S9100 has an ISO adjustment, so you could increase the speed of your imaginary film to up to 3200 when shooting in auto mode. This has the potential of creating some grain in the photo (depending on how large you want to print your image), but it will increase the sensitivity of your camera to light and thus allow you to take pics in lower light situations without a flash. (This camera will not utilize the flash unless you manually pop it up.)

Also, there is an indoor/party mode, which also helps take photos indoors without a flash. It won't do well with super-low lighting, since as a P&S it only has auto focus. So there needs to be enough light for the camera to "see" in the first place. If the church in which you're shooting has lots of windows and/or gets a fair amount of natural or artificial light, you should have no problem capturing shots with this camera.

The Nikon Coolpix S9100 has an ISO adjustment, so you could increase the speed of your imaginary film to up to 3200 when shooting in auto mode. This has the potential of creating some grain in the photo (depending on how large you want to print your image), but it will increase the sensitivity of your camera to light and thus allow you to take pics in lower light situations without a flash. (This camera will not utilize the flash unless you manually pop it up.)

Also, there is an indoor/party mode, which also helps take photos indoors without a flash. It won't do well with super-low lighting, since as a P&S it only has auto focus. So there needs to be enough light for the camera to "see" in the first place. If the church in which you're shooting has lots of windows and/or gets a fair amount of natural or artificial light, you should have no problem capturing shots with this camera.

Thanks! Unfortunately, our church only has narrow stained glass windows up along the top of the side walls. It was the hardest thing for me to get used to when we began attending there in 2006. I currently use a FujiFilm FinePix S700, but it's bulky.

The Canon S-95 and S-100 have manual settings, so not only does it have ISO adjustment, but you can control (up to a certain extent) aperture and shutter speed. So yes, you can use these without flash. I've had the S-95 for 2 or 3 years now and am very happy with its performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Canon S-100 or S-95. You can shoot in manual and RAW files too. Very versatile, a little bit more substantial than credit card sized cameras, excellent quality. They both have many features of a DSLR. Check the Canon site.

My iPhone has great photography capabilities and its always with me. I've heard it said the best camera is the one you have with you.

Thanks for all the information Sandi, I think I am going to go with the s100, I have been reading tons of customer reviews and info!

Thanks for all the information Sandi, I think I am going to go with the s100, I have been reading tons of customer reviews and info!

I think that's a great choice. The S-100 is not so upgraded from the S-95 that I need to go get another new camera, but this series offers a lot of advanced features, but is still a simple camera.

I loved my fine-pix camera. Unfortunately it wasn't drop proof & I needed something I could use that same day. I've had good luck with the Cannon, currently S150. I've taken some decent photos inside, like at church. There are some settings and sometimes you can 'trick' it by focusing on something dark & then moving the camera without changing the focus.

Archived