Canon ?

Ande43

I just got a new Canon EOS Rebel T3i.....I have not done much with it yet but I notice that the photos I download on my lap top are 5184x3456 and to ones from my older camera are 640x480..............What does this mean and is there anyway to change the size of the new images?? or do I have to resize each seperatly after they have been put on the LT? I just realized the different when I tried to upload a photo to a website and it was too large. Thanks if you can help me. I need to find a good class for this toy for sure.

There should be a way to select the size of the images you take. I am a Nikon gal myself, but there should be a menu button on the back of your camera and then I would look under "Settings" or "Images" to select the size you want.

I always take my photos at maximum size, since they are best for quality and printing and can be resized larger or smaller easily. They do take a lot of room on your memory card and then on your computer, but if you plan to possibly print them, larger is better.

So, when I want to post a photo on facebook or somewhere else where file size needs to be small, I just resize them quickly with a resizer program I have and it's not a problem. (And I still have my HQ image for scrapping, printing, etc. if needed.)

HTH!! :)

I don't have a T3i but on every other Canon camera I've had, you can choose the size you record images. As you get into the better cameras, an advantage of larger files is the ability to print larger and to manipulate your photos more....more information recorded by the camera, the more you have to work with. You've discovered the disadvantage of larger files....can't always upload. And they take up more memory card and hard drive space.

If your T3i is anything like my Canons if you go to menu, choose the little camera icon you should see a list. find the image quality menu and choose that. That will take you to another menu that allows you to choose size and type of files. I think you can shoot in RAW and JPG or just one or the other. I shoot large RAW files and medium jpg. I can usually upload the medium jpg files without much hassle.

The Canon manuals that come with the camera are very technobabble. I love the "Digital Field Guide" series for particular cameras. They tell about the set up and functions on the cameras as well as how to use them. Much better than the manual that ships with the camera.

Hope that helps.

Thank you Ladies...will do some checking here.............What is the Resizer program you have Jennifer...how much is it? I resized with PSE8 for the web...is there an easier way not that that is not easy LOL...thanks!

It's called Prish resizer and it's freeware. If you google it, you will find the download. It is PC-compatible, I am not sure whether they have a version that works with Mac, yet.

It's called Prish resizer and it's freeware. If you google it, you will find the download. It is PC-compatible, I am not sure whether they have a version that works with Mac, yet.

Thanks Jennifer I just downloaded it....What on earth would we do without our Cyber-friends?? I know I would be lost without all of you

• 4 weeks later...

Archived