New File In Elements 11

Barb Eugene

Ladies:

I'm sure I messed up somewhere but don't know where. When starting a new project in Elements 11, I used to click Ctrl N and the dimensions of the previous new file would appear. I must have changed something because now Ctrl N defaults to Clipboard, grayscale and some tiny dimensions, regardless of what the size of the previous file was.

Does anyone have any idea how to reverse this?

Thanks for your help!

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

When you click Ctrl N a dialog box should open where you can click on the Preset drop down and choose from Clipboard, Default Photohop Elements Size, Scrapbooking, Custom, Etc. Once you choose the type of document you want to create, then you can choose the size, width, height, resolution, color mode and background from the drop downs. Does this help?

Rather than clicking Ctrl N, you can also try going to File>New>Blank File to bring up the dialog box.

I don't know about PSE but in CS6 when you open a new document what you describe only happens when there is something on the clipboard, the new document will show the size of that, not your last layout size. If you clear the clipboard it will then return to the default size.

Thank you for your thoughts. After I sent the query, I shut my computer off, went golfing to take advantage of this glorious Oregon spring day, and when I turned the computer on again, everything was back to normal. I like these self-correcting issues!

Thank you for your thoughts. After I sent the query, I shut my computer off, went golfing to take advantage of this glorious Oregon spring day, and when I turned the computer on again, everything was back to normal. I like these self-correcting issues!

Glad to hear it's working for you!

I have been watching this and thanks for all the reply s. How do you clear the clipboard and how do you save a custom size in the drop down box. My size always changes to the web size and I would like to just select 12X12 or letter instead of going through all the steps. Thanks for asking the question Barbara.

Until yesterday when I experienced the same issue you are having, Belle, the program always defaulted to the size I used previously. I was really frustrated when I had to reset all the particulars of every new file I opened. Somehow, it self-corrected.

I understand that there is no option to create a preset for a custom size, such as 12 X 12, in Elements. I wish there were a way since I use a number of different sizes frequently.

Until yesterday when I experienced the same issue you are having, Belle, the program always defaulted to the size I used previously. I was really frustrated when I had to reset all the particulars of every new file I opened. Somehow, it self-corrected.

I understand that there is no option to create a preset for a custom size, such as 12 X 12, in Elements. I wish there were a way since I use a number of different sizes frequently.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but when you click Ctrl + N or go to File>New>Blank File when the dialog box opens, click the preset drop down and choose Scrapbooking. Then from the Size dropdown you can choose either 12x12, 8x8 or 6x6. Does this help?

Mine does not say 'Preset' it says 'None' and it is blanked out. I've looked all over for the setting to change that but cannot find it.

I'm not sure if this will be any help Belle, but here are screen shots of what I mean. In the first one I chose Scrapbooking from the Preset dropdown menu and in the second one I chose 12x12 from the Size dropdown menu

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

When I go to Default Photoshop Elements size I get a 6.3X4.723" paper with the Size blanked out. Can't change anything. I've looked through everything I don't have the scrapbooking choice available. Because this was bought in South Africa, every time I open a new file, the programs defaults to cm. I have changed the cm to inches in Edit, Preferences but it still changes back to cm every time. I will play around and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for your help Theresa.

Archived