Online Backup Service

Monika13

Do you use online back up service for your files? If yes, which one and what are the pros and cons?

I've been using Carbonie for about 2 years now and all was dandy until I had to reinstall windows 7 after unsuccessful upgrade to win 8. The structure of my directories have changed after the reinstall so Carbonite started backup from scratch. It's been over 3 months and the full back up wasn't complete yet. Yesteday I decided to clean up the directories and move all my files into a simpler path. Guess what, Carbonite sees the files under a new path as new files so the back up started again from scratch.

I'm looking to switch to a another backup provider, someone who is quicker. I have a very good internet connection so speed on my end shouldn't be an issue.

I've used Carbonite for years and have been very happy with it. I had a fire in my motherboard about two years ago. I was able to restore all my files within a few hours to my new computer. It might be worth calling customer support? They've been very helpful to me.

The speed you upload to the cloud service is a fraction of your internet speed. Some services allow you to change your upload speed. Mine is set at the maximum, which is 8 KB/sec (very slow). Check and see if you can change this on yours.

The speed you restore at is different, usually higher (mine is 64KB/sec).

So basically, if you have a large number of files to upload it will take time. My initial backup took about a month. Remember everytime you move, change or rename a file or folder, it has to be uploaded again.

I definitely learned my lesson about renaming folder and changing directories. I'm tryingout backblaze right now. I adjusted the upload speed to a max for right now. We will see how fast it goes. Also I want to try CrashPlan.

Archived