• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 countrydi

countrydi

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts
  • Personal Statement:We aren't promised tomorrow, so make sure you enjoy and make the most of today!!!!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

When downloading pictures off my camera cards, I normally take them out and either insert them into a card reader or straight into the slot in my computer. Depending on what I am working on, I may do this daily or a couple of times a week. My question is....how much does it hurt the card to keep taking it in and out of camera and computer or reader. I worry about it getting wore out or scratched before it should be. Should I just connect my camera to the computer and download without removing my card at all?

Thank you in advance!

~Di~ Photographer @ Heart

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

I don't think physically taking the card in and out of the camera, card reader, or slot on your computer would hurt your cards. However, the cards can become corrupted with use and need to be reformatted in your camera periodically. I do it after every download, once those files have been backed up....that means every time. To get to the format card in my camera it is under the menus. Once you reformat, whatever information is on that card is gone forever so make sure you've backed everything up.
Posted Image

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 JenniferZ

JenniferZ

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Design Team
  • 3,906 posts
  • Personal Statement:Strong Women: May we know them. May we raise them. May we be them.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

And also make sure you actually "eject" your card before removing it from your computer. Don't just pull it out when you've moved your photos. You can either use your "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon if it shows up on your bottom tool bar, or you can go to "Devices and Printers" and click on the icon for your card and then select "Eject."

spring10siggy.png
Button_Designer.pngSGblinkie.gif

#4 lorac

lorac

She Who Walks In Snow Without Shoes

• Members
  • 13,934 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

I've never had any problems, but things do happen. I keep a couple of extra cards on hand just in case. Remember: It's not if it will crash, it's when it will crash.

gallery_11036_66_10740.png

BLINKIES_girlfriend.gifSG-9-Anniversary_Spice-Blinkie.gifBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifSG-9-Anniversary-SugarNSpice-Blinkie.gif

SHARE THE LOVE GOAL Goal for April 2014, 6975 (1170) -- 6933 (1073) as of 4-03-14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users