How Do You Blend Two Papers Together?

I have two background papers, one layered on top of the other. The top layer is smaller than the bottom layer. I would like to 'blend' the edges of the top layer into the bottom layer so that the hard edge of the top layer disappears.

I'm sure there's probably an easy way to do this but I can't for the life of me work it out - please could someone enlighten me?

Many thanks.

Which software are you using? If you're using an Adobe program, the easiest I've found is to use a layer mask. Another way is to use the eraser brush.

For the layer mask, select your top layer in the layer palette, and at the bottom you'll find a small button that is a circle in a box. Once you click that a white box will open up next to the thumbnail of your selected layer.

Go to the tool bar and select the brush tool. Choose a soft round brush and make it fairly large, I usually go 400-800px. Change the opacity to about 40%. At the bottom of the tool bar you'll see black and white pages stacked one on top of the other (foreground and background colors). Make sure you have the black one selected as foreground. Then back to your layer palette, click on the white mask of the layer you have selected. You'll know you have the mask because there will be a line around the white box. Then you can just use the brush to paint over the edges. You have to play a little to get a feel for how big a brush to use and the opacity you need for each particular project. If you make a mistake, easy to fix, just select white as foreground and go over that area.

The eraser brush is very similar, but harder to correct if you make a mistake and you don't do it on a mask, but directly on the layer. Select eraser tool, soft round, fairly large, and reduce opacity.

Hope that helps. If you are using a program that's different, let us know and hopefully someone familiar with what you are using can help.

If you have more questions, or having problems with this, don't hesitate to ask. The more specific you are in where the problem is and what software you are using helps us help you. Good luck, learning to do this opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

Thank you very much for your suggestions - after a little bit of playing about I think I've achieved what I wanted with the layer mask. Having thought about it a bit more this morning (now I'm a bit more awake!) - it would also be useful to know how to create my own photo masks - I have several that I have purchased from the boutique in the past (eg. Artful Photo Masks - I love them to bits!) but it would be excellent to know how to create my own custom ones. Is anyone able to give me a lesson (or point me towards a good tutorial)?

Thank you again.

ps I use PS CS3 and am a relative beginner!!!!

Archived