Backing Up Pse Catalog

Deb C.

I am using PSE 9 on a Macbook Pro.

I have 4100 photos in my PSE Organizer. I tried to back up the Organizer onto my EHD. It started out great but then when it got to about 60-70 percent, it s-l-o-w-e-d way down. It was taking 1/2 hour to go 1 percent. That was taking way too long so I cancelled it. I started the back-up at 3:00 p.m. and finally cancelled it at 10:00 p.m. It was only at 89% when I cancelled it. Does it always take that long?

Another thing - - my Macbook Pro screen never dimmed or went to sleep. It had been on for several hours and I was afraid it would harm the screen or maybe shorten the life of the display screen since it was on for so long. Is that a correct assumption?

I will appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks.

Deb

Hi Deb. I have noticed that the backup on PSE doesnt always work first time. It is a slow process but certainly shouldnt take 7 hours. Did you try Task Manager (or whatever the Mac equivalent is) to see if the program had hung up? Sorry - my advice is not specific to Mac :-(

Deb, I have 30,000+ scrapbook elements in my PSE organizer. It takes a long time to back up, but I have never timed it. I just usually start the backup when I know I am going to be away from the computer for a long time like before I go to bed. I don't think it takes as long as you say though because I have done it during the day and went back several hours later and it was done.

I have never been able to get the partial back up to work (supposedly you are supposed to be able to only back up the new stuff after the initial back up) I did some research and found that most people agree that the partial back up feature is very difficult to use.

Hope you get it figured out.

ScrapGram, thanks for your reply.

When you do your backup, does your display screen go to sleep? Does the screen saver come up during the backup? Mine doesn't and I'm afraid it's going to do something to my screen since it doesn't go to sleep. In the preferences, I have it so the computer will never go to sleep during the backup but the screen is supposed to go to sleep after 3 minutes. It doesn't do that - it doesn't even dim.

When you do your backup, does your display screen go to sleep? Does the screen saver come up during the backup? Mine doesn't and I'm afraid it's going to do something to my screen since it doesn't go to sleep. In the preferences, I have it so the computer will never go to sleep during the backup but the screen is supposed to go to sleep after 3 minutes. It doesn't do that - it doesn't even dim.

It's been a while since I backed up. This thread reminded me that I really need to do it. To be perfectly honest, I don't remember what the screen does. I am going to do a back up tonight, so I will let you know tomorrow.

You can just turn off your monitor if you're worried about it.

Deb - My screen went to sleep just like alwasys, but the computer itself did not go to sleep. One quirky thing did happen. I started the backup around 9:45 pm last night. At around 11:15 it said it was 75% complete. (The screen went to sleep several times during this time and I would jiggle the mouse to wake it up). I got sleepy so I went to bed. When I got up this morning, the screen was asleep but the computer wasn't. When I jiggled the mouse to get the screen to wake up, the same window was up that said 75% complete. I thought "uh-oh, something is wrong." However as soon as I clicked the mouse, the window came up that said backup complete, and everything seems fine.

Archived