Brushes-Since There Is A Sale....

Ok...there is a fabulous sale on SS Brushes right now!! I am seeing wonderful layouts in the gallery using brushes, so this has me thinking.

1. What are your favorite brushes and why? (link it up if you want!!)

2. What is your favorite technique to use brushes?

I have a lot of brushes (and a few on my wish list)...but I don't use them very often...Just curious your thoughts and ideas!

I admit, I haven't used brushes very much in LOs (though I use them a LOT on the design side) since I came onto the design team (it is on my creative to-do-list, though!), but I have Shalae's eBook about Mastering Brushes, which is very helpful AND it's on sale, now, too! :)/>

I like to use them as photo mats or frames, or to add decorative edges to pages. But you can apply styles to them and make embellishments, you can layer them, use them to distress things, use them as masks...

Here is the link to Shalae's eBook:

Mastering Brushes: PSE

Mastering Brushes: PS

I admit, I haven't used brushes very much in LOs since I came onto the design team (it is on my creative to-do-list, though!), but I have Shalae's eBook about Mastering Brushes, which is very helpful AND it's on sale, now, too! :)/>

I like to use them as photo mats or frames, or to add decorative edges to pages. But you can apply styles to them and make embellishments, you can layer them, use them to distress things, use them as masks...

Here is the link to Shalae's eBook:

Mastering Brushes: PSE

Mastering Brushes: PS

OH! I have that book! It is awesome...AND on sale...SWEET!

LOL to the conversation thus far! I tend to be very "boring" with my brushwork, using them mostly as date stamps, eg. But I did go wild and crazy and with my recent newsletter mini-tutorial, scraplifted Brandy's technique from the blog: Breaking Down the Layout

Brushes that work great with this technique:

Brush Set: 19 Hearts, designed by Brandy Murry, Scrap Girls, LLC digital scrapbooking product designer

Dynamic Brush Set: Squeaky Clean, designed by Armi Custodio, Scrap Girls, LLC digital scrapbooking product designer

Dynamic Brush Set: Word Scramble Biggie, designed by Brandy Murry, Scrap Girls, LLC digital scrapbooking product designer

Dynamic Brush Set: Art Diary, designed by Brandy Murry, Scrap Girls, LLC digital scrapbooking product designer

Dynamic Brush Set: Hoot and Annie 6301 Mini, designed by Syndee Nuckles, Scrap Girls, LLC digital scrapbooking product designer

Dynamic Brush Set: Love Dusted, designed by Syndee Nuckles, Scrap Girls, LLC digital scrapbooking product designer

Dynamic Brush Set: Snow Dust, designed by Syndee Nuckles, Scrap Girls, LLC digital scrapbooking product designer

Dynamic Brush Set: Fancy Glitter 6401, designed by Amanda Fraijo-Tobin, Scrap Girls, LLC digital scrapbooking product designer

Dynamic Brush Set: Stars 5001, designed by Melissa Renfro, Scrap Girls, LLC digital scrapbooking product designer (the one I used in my example)

Dynamic Brush Set: Hearts 5001, designed by Melissa Renfro, Scrap Girls, LLC digital scrapbooking product designer

It's super fun and not that difficult at all with Brandy's step-by-step video!

I have tons of brushes too and don't use them much either. I have really appreciated the recent challenges on using brushes. After the HNC brush challenge this week I promised myself I was going to use at least one brush on every LO! Got to go shopping for more brushes now!

You all have me laughing! I collect brushes, too (and plan to add more while they are on sale!), but I also often forget to use them. The one exception is Brandy Murry's dynamic Background Blenders. I love to use them for painless blending. That one gets used a lot!

My other favorite brushes are ones that I can blend into the background to add a bit of texture, rather than ones that act as stamps. A couple of the ones I like are Coastal Palms by Brandy Murry, Patterned Fragments by Syndee Nuckles, and Mesh Biggie by Ang Campbell, but there are lots more.

I'm off now to meet Scrapgram in the brush section of the Boutique! :D

Oh... I just noticed you asked about technique. My usual one isn't very complicated -- I usually color the brush, then lower its opacity a bit so that it fades into the background. I might use a grunge eraser, too, very lightly on parts of it.

You all have me laughing! I collect brushes, too (and plan to add more while they are on sale!), but I also often forget to use them. The one exception is Brandy Murry's dynamic Background Blenders. I love to use them for painless blending. That one gets used a lot!

My other favorite brushes are ones that I can blend into the background to add a bit of texture, rather than ones that act as stamps. A couple of the ones I like are Coastal Palms by Brandy Murry, Patterned Fragments by Syndee Nuckles, and Mesh Biggie by Ang Campbell, but there are lots more.

I'm off now to meet Scrapgram in the brush section of the Boutique! :D/>

Oh... I just noticed you asked about technique. My usual one isn't very complicated -- I usually color the brush, then lower its opacity a bit so that it fades into the background. I might use a grunge eraser, too, very lightly on parts of it.

Great suggestions! I love blended backgrounds!! (shhh....don't tell...but I'm not sure I have ever used brushes for that!! And...I have all of those you mentioned I think!)

Have fun shopping you two! :) (save some for the rest of us!!)

My whole scrapping life changed when I took the Brushwork class with Anna - never knew there was so much you can do with brushes until then. One of my favorite ways is to use a brush as an eraser.... And my favorite all-time and most-used brush is Sydee's Brush Set: Painted.

I've used it to "paint" - to dab.... when I want to fix something by painting - it gives more texture. And I use it most as a background eraser. My FAVORITE. :)

My whole scrapping life changed when I took the Brushwork class with Anna - never knew there was so much you can do with brushes until then. One of my favorite ways is to use a brush as an eraser.... And my favorite all-time and most-used brush is Sydee's Brush Set: Painted.

I've used it to "paint" - to dab.... when I want to fix something by painting - it gives more texture. And I use it most as a background eraser. My FAVORITE. :)/>

Excellent ideas Marilyn!

I mostly use the .png files instead of loading the brushes for shapes, but I use textured brushes a lot to add to or erase from (or make) photomasks. You can use Brandy's background blenders to make a photomask from scratch, but I'm always wanting to mask out a distracting piece of background or some other small tweak on a purchased mask that isn't quite right.

Archived