Facebook

lorac

I know that this question has nothing to do with Scrap Girls, but I don't know where else to turn. I know that just about everyone is a Facebooker. I just rejoined Facebook and I'm getting friend requests from people that I don't know. I've already unfriended two guys. I've tried to look in their help section, but it's so confusing I can't figure out how to receive a friend request before I'm friended.

I only rejoined because I wanted to find a couple of people that I haven't heard from in a long time. If I can't receive friend requests before I'm friended, then I'm going to leave the site again. Can anyone help me with this?

I'm not really happy with Facebook because I have issues with them not paying any taxes and then getting a huge tax refund. I won't go into that any further, as SG is not the place to write about these things. This is a Happy Purple Place where you can come and get away from the problems of the world and visit with your friends.

Hi Carol,

I love facebook, but I know not everyone does...You can adjust your privacy settings in facebook by going to the little gear icon along the top of your facebook page...it's in the blue field all the way over to the right. Also, if you click on the little "lock" icon, you will see a quick link to information on "How do I stop someone from bothering me?"

As far as friend requests, as far as I know, people cannot just 'friend' you if you have a personal account. They must send you a request and you either approve or disapprove of it. However, if your facebook account is set up like a "Page" then anyone can find and "like" you -- this is different from a friend request and many designers have both personal facebook accounts for themselves and then facebook "pages" for their designs.

For more info on that, go to that little gear icon and click HELP and type "how do I create a page."

HTH!

The only reason I am on Facebook is for a Designing Blog Train I take part in. Personally I do not really like it... some bad things happened through facebook for friends of friends.

Sorry you're frustrated, Carol. I really enjoy Facebook, especially since I can keep in touch with cousins, siblings, nieces and nephews in other states. My Friends settings only allow people no further away than "Friends of Friends" to send Friend Requests. I think the default is "Everyone," so you might dial that back.

I very occasionally get a friend request that I'm not interested in--just click "Ignore" rather than Accept and that's the last you see of it.

I treasure the friends and family I only get to hear from very often on Facebook; hope you're able to find a way to come to an amicable relationship with this tool.

I'm another one who does not do Facebook. I've just heard too many negative things. DD gave me a grand tour one time and I didn't like any of it anyway.

I'm on there in a limited capacity. Barbara and Jennifer are correct: you do have to make changes to your privacy settings. I'd ask someone who uses it to sit down with you and go over things with you and help you set it up as you want it. That said, I hate that Mark Z & Co. keep changing the rules of the game! So you have to be diligent.

For me, the most helpful thing was to decide why I was on there, with whom I wanted to connect and why and adhere to those boundaries. I am mostly connected to my "now" friends as a way of deepening our connections, and family. I rarely even click on people's profiles if I'm not connected to them - big time waster there IMHO. I don't have a huge desire to connect to God and everyone from my past lives - LOL! I have found it to be very useful for connecting to art sites and artists by liking their pages - many of these update their FB page more often and I like having all this in one place now.

So figure out how and why you want to use it, and get some help from someone you trust to understand it better. (I gave it up for Lent this year and found that I could take it or leave it!)

I am so with you ladies who don't have it, don't want it and the ONLY reason I have a page there is as a designer for my designs and to promote SG. I have absolutely NO idea how it works, just ask Syndee ;), and I don't want to know. my Jess is the only kid in her year at school that doesn't have it and she is only showing very slight interest in it now but hasn't pushed the point. if she does ever get it, it means I have to monitor it (them are the rules if she wants it) which I really don't want to do. I know there are some positives to it, but, for me, the negatives far outweigh the positives.

and now I will step off my soapbox and go check out some layouts....

Carol, I'm on and off about Facebook - my FB account has been hacked more than once and people were posting things that appeared to be from me, but certainly weren't. I'm back on it again because it's the only way I get to see all the pics of my grands who must absolutely live on FB. It does have it's problems, but I hit the ignore button all the time and I ignore friend requests of people I don't know. I do however, love seeing SG posts on FB and I've heard from friends from high school I haven't heard from in years and years, so that's a good thing.

I got back on it this time because Rich had a background check on an applicant who applied to be an officer with the police department. One of the things the department requires is that if an applicant (or an officer) has a FB page, there can't be anything negative or political on it so Rich asked me to get back on to check out this applicant's FB page. I did - and I've just never taken my page down again. I'm sure I will take it down again - I like it some days and other days I don't even check it, but it's kind of fun to see what everyone is up to. I don't like some of the negative things I see on there though and some people feel it's the perfect place to air their dirty laundry which I do not like.

I agree - I'd rather be on our happy little purple place here!

I don't like FB and the only reason that I joined again is I wanted to find someone that I lost contact with. I've done that and I think I will now un-join. I just don't like that people who I don't know want to friend me. What's with that? If you don't know someone, why would you want to be friends with them? It's happened twice and I unfriended them. I thought that I chose to be private, but obviously that is not the case. I really don't like the idea that if you write anything on FB, everyone can see it. I don't know what 'follow' you means, but it doesn't sound good.

I think that I'll just unjoin. Besides, I don't like the idea that these 'creeps' who own FB don't have to pay any federal income taxes and then are able to get a tax refund. That doesn't make any sense. I also don't like what videos are allowed to be posted. So, I'm off to unjoin and I hope that is easy to do.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I'll just stay in touch with my family and friends via emails and the telephone. Maybe even, oh my gosh, write a letter. :o

Archived