Crazy Or Smart ... Still Deciding ... With Qs

mbechtloff

So, I've taken on the project of going through ALL my digi supplies. I have sooooo much on my computer and backups that a) I don't know its there and B) some of it is most likely bad quality since I downloaded every freebie I could get a hold of when I started.

Also, I'm working on properly labelling things or getting rid of things that I have absolutely no clue where they came from (i.e. element1 ... but no preview, TOU, or anything other identifier). I've already deleted about 1GB of stuff. I started with my Kits folder, and am sad to say I'm only on the letter C (I sorted my kits by name). But I'm working on relabelling things so the designer name precedes the kit name. i'm also trying to make sure all the TOUs are in the right place. This is taking a loooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnng time, but I think I'm happy about it. I'll be thrilled when I'm done, but right now its just frustrating.

I do have some questions though. I'm fairly happy with my organization system (which I adapted from Ro), but how do you organize your blog trains/collabs when there are multiple designers for a 'kit' essentially. Especially when they may be the same colour palette but different themes?

Thanks again!

You are smart to dedicate time to organize and clean-out your supplies!!! It will save you TONS of time in the long run, especially if you organize all new items as soon as you unzip them.

I am not sure how to advise you as far as collabs or blog train items goes. I think Ro's system organizes by category, so some kits will be split anyway, so just sort that way. You may have to rename files if you acquire them elsewhere, but here our file names are pretty specific and always use designer's initials, collection name and item name/description, even for collab kits and such.

I don't split my kits like Ro suggested, but I have them labeled so that I can search for "embellishments" and the computer will pull all of the embellishments from all of my kits. That said, when I have a collaboration from a particular company, I make a collab folder, just like a kit folder, and label the sub-folder/contents accordingly. HTH

I don't split my kits like Ro suggested, but I have them labeled so that I can search for "embellishments" and the computer will pull all of the embellishments from all of my kits. That said, when I have a collaboration from a particular company, I make a collab folder, just like a kit folder, and label the sub-folder/contents accordingly. HTH

I do the same as Monica.

I pretty much do as Barbara and Monica do. I have all of mine on EHD's plus backups on EHD's. Right now with this weak pc, I'm just going to the folders to retrieve something. I keep the most recent kits on my computer. I also have a list of embellishment types that I've compiled like brads, mats, etc. that I use a lot. These are copies in a folder on my computer. When I get used to the Mac, I may be able to search for them better and it should be easier. I use Picasso when I just want to look at kits or items. For the group kits, like the ones where different designers do parts of it, I name the kit SG_name of kit, because the individual items are named. Scrapsimple club kits are very hard for me. I am still naming them something that makes me remember them, but I just keep them together. However, I do forget to use them because it's hard to remember what is in them. I still have some cleaning out to do myself and it is a job! I'd be interested to know how some of you file and organize your SS club kits.

I still have some cleaning out to do myself and it is a job! I'd be interested to know how some of you file and organize your SS club kits.

For Scrap Simple club kits: Finished, colored kits, like the most recent Filigree Fun, get filed with other collections, not with Scrap Simple. In my ScrapSimple folder, I have subfolders for: Alphas, Embellishments, Frames, Mats & Masks (I separate these from other Embellishments, because they are such a "go to" for me,) Papers, Word Art, Layouts (Page & Album Templates) and Styles & Actions. Each product, e.g. Filigree Frames, stays in its folder.

The other thing that helps me is is that in almost EVERY folder, I copy the 600 x 600 marketing image (CTRL + Click and Drag) and rename it folder.jpg. That guarantees the thumbnail preview shows me the contents.

And no, not crazy. Of course, this is coming from someone who loves to simply play with her supplies!

I organize my supplies in PSE Organizer so I have tags instead of files.(My files are on my hard drive in categories also, but I don't go directly to the file to get something. I do it all through PSE Organizer) I do have a file (tag) for my Scrap Simple kits by month, but I also have a file(tag) for individual products within the club. I also have a file(tag) for each category of SS Products e.g. paper, embellishments, layout templates. So after I tag each month's club supplies with the SS Club tag, I will also tag the papers with the SS Paper tag, embellishments with the SS embellishment tag, etc.

The other thing that helps me is is that in almost EVERY folder, I copy the 600 x 600 marketing image (CTRL + Click and Drag) and rename it folder.jpg. That guarantees the thumbnail preview shows me the contents.

I think you may have just changed my life with this. Seriously. In all my years of computing, I have NEVER heard of this and now that I have MY LIFE IS TOTALLY CHANGED. My folders can be organised and beautiful! Thank you SO MUCH!

I think you may have just changed my life with this. Seriously. In all my years of computing, I have NEVER heard of this and now that I have MY LIFE IS TOTALLY CHANGED. My folders can be organised and beautiful! Thank you SO MUCH!

Glad to help, and welcome to Scrap Girls! :wub:/>

Archived