4 replies to this topic

#1 msannie

msannie

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hello everybody! I just bought a macbook air, 126 gig. My husband complains that my pc takes up too much room on the back of our Harley, so I figured a netbook-size computer would work perfectly...so I used this golden opportunity to GET A MAC!! Been wanting one for years anyway.

So...my question is...what's the best, the easiest way to download SG files, unzip them, and arrange them so I can find them?

What is your workflow like? Are there apps out there that you can't do without? Any and all information would be appreciated. I would prefer NOT to have to learn this by trial and error since there are so many ScrapGirls who already use macs and have a system in place. No need to reinvent the wheel!

Looking forward to your input! And many, many thanks.
msannie

#2 MariJ

MariJ

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Welcoming Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Hi Annie
I love my Mac. Let's see what I can help you with.
When I download SG files on my Mac, I click "download" on my account page and then the file automatically downloads and unzips itself and the folder is right in my downloads folder (on your dock - to the left of the Trash basket are a "downloads" and a "Documents" folders.). If you click on the Downloads one, you will see all the files you've just downloaded. Never any need to unzip - Mac does it automatically and throws the zip away. Since I never scrapped on anything but my Mac, I didn't even know what people were talking about when they'd mention unzipping! :)

What I do next is just how I organize - other people do differently.
I go to "Finder" click on "Documents" on the left side and then go to the top and click File - then New Folder. I named that folder "SCRAPBOOK" and even tagged it purple (of course!). Then, inside that folder I store ALL of my Scrapping supplies according to purchase date. So, I have "Scrapbook 1" (my first purchase) inside my SCRAPBOOK folder... And "Scrapbook 2" (second purchase) etc, etc. If I only purchased a few things that day I combine a few orders inside the folder.

Oh, and I put collections together and into THEIR own folder inside the "Scrapbook 1" (etc), folder. Does this make sense? I hope I haven't confused you more.
Ask again if I have or someone else will come along too!

Good luck and enjoy!

gallery_19549_358_19841.png
BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif     Button_Welcome.png    Button_Published.png WT-Button-copy.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#3 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

Scrap Girls Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 50,773 posts
  • Personal Statement:Let There Be Peace On Earth and Let It Begin With Me!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hi Annie!
Congrats on your new computer! You're going to love working on a Mac! Marilyn put it all so well and I do almost exactly what she does (except my files are just named a little differently) but as far as the downloading, what she said is exactly what I do (or what my Mac does for me) :) :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

Yay! Another mac in the gang! What Marilyn said about unzipping...no need to. I made a file for scrapping, not in documents but in my user file....equal to apps, downloads, documents, etc. Then I sort of file like Ro in the 15 things...ebook. Don't think that's really any different than when I did it on a pc. You might consider an external hard drive since you don't have a super big HD. I know I'd fill up 126GB really fast with photos and scrapping stuff.
Posted Image

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 msannie

msannie

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Thanks ladies! It's going to take me poking around the finder to learn how to use it and how to set up files so I can find them easily. I've already changed things around around a little, but not too much. This mac is only for use when I'm on the road, so the 128 gig hd will be sufficient for that length of time. Then I'll just transfer my files to the EHD I use exclusively for Scrapbooking. I have another EHD exclusively for pictures.

I think I'm gonna hafta go mac when my current pc dies. And I'm thinking about Photoshop, too....I have it on my pc, and although they allow you to use it on 2 computers at a time, the computers have to both be either mac or pc. You can't use one for the mac and one for the pc. Bummer. Since I already have it on my pc, there is an option to change to the mac.

One program at a time! Thanks again, I'll be studying your suggestions and trying them out one at a time! 'ppreciate it!
msannie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users