Google Search Brings Up Scrapbook Layouts

sanot

I was reading some articles about safety on the internet and I did a Google Search for my name and clicked on "images"...to my surprise I found some of my scrapbook layouts from the Scrapgirls gallery displayed there. Not such a big deal in some respects except that I don't really want my journaling to be "out there" visible to whoever...

I have been putting the copyright symbol and my name in the gallery post as someone mentioned to take credit for it. Maybe I shouldn't do that anymore? Can I remove them from the ones already posted in the gallery?

What are your thoughts on this topic?

thanks for any insight you can offer....Amy

I tried it too, but didn't see anything related--that is interesting! sorry that I don't have any ideas about this.

Hey there, Amy,

Google search grabs up almost everything on the Internet and displays it as part of the search returns. This just means that people can see the image and then, if they want to see it better, they click on it and it takes them to your gallery. It's just like what happens if you search for a term and then various website pages are shown to you. It doesn't have anything to do with copyright, because showing it in the image search returns doesn't remove your copyright.

Everything on the Internet is copyrighted, pretty much. Having Google show your image doesn't take away your copyright or interfere with it in anyway.

The only way to make sure that any image or page or post or anything at all you post on the Internet won't be displayed as part of a search return is to not post it at all or to post it in a protected place. You can put your images in a protected album you set up here, if you'd like. Then the only people that can see them are people that you give access to see them.

A good rule of thumb is: If our members can see your images, the rest of the world can, too. Google's search engine just makes it easier for people to find what they're looking for.

Hope that helps!

strange...i tried a google search and glad to say none of my scrapbook pages came up but i did find some stuff from my geni page so i made it private... good i guess to google yourself every once in awhile and see what you see

My sister in law couldn't remember our new address, so she googled me and found all my Scrap Girls stuff....but no address. Nothing is private anymore thanks to the internet. But Ro is right, once you post it out there, it's there for everyone to see.

Thanks for the info, Ro. Occasionally I Google myself to see which websites appear first in the results (the current order is: Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Central Realty, Scrap Girls, then Facebook). But I've never tried an image search on myself.

I just wanted to chime in and say it's incredibly hard to predict what Google will "serve up" for search results, and Scrap Girls has no way of controlling it. As a rule-of-thumb if you are posting information any place on the internet you should assume that Google will eventually tie it back to you.

You could try removing your copyright, since that contains both your first and last name and see if that helps, but I cannot guarantee that it will. Contact April Showers and she can tell you how to go about removing the copyright or removing those images all together.

Also, if you do try that, don't expect instant results from Google. It could be days, months or potentially never when they decide to "re-index" those images. There is a whole career field built around trying to guess what Google will like and rules change daily.

I did an image search for full name, and none of my layouts appeared... only profile pictures and images on websites where my full name is used. When I did an image search for Tiza126, I came up with some Scrap Girls results.

Archived