I Have Added A Stroke To Something But Now Want To Add A Little Shadow

bjc

after i added a stroke i tried to add a shadow..but then it takes away the stroke and does the shadow..i want to have both of them..i am using cs6...i appreciate your help

Barb's way is easiest. You can also right click on the effects on the layer and choose "create layers." This will put each effect on it's own, separate layer, and then you can add a shadow to the stroke if you wish. I like this because you can move shadows, etc., independent of the other effects.

Barb's way is easiest. You can also right click on the effects on the layer and choose "create layers." This will put each effect on it's own, separate layer, and then you can add a shadow to the stroke if you wish. I like this because you can move shadows, etc., independent of the other effects.

I knew how to do it the way Barb mentioned. Did not know I could do this...thanks Dot!

You could also convert your stroked object to a smart object and then apply the drop shadow, though I usually use the SHIFT trick, as well! :)

I knew how to do it the way Barb mentioned. Did not know I could do this...thanks Dot!

Me either, thanks Dot! :)

Me either, thanks Dot! :)/>

You are (all) welcome! It's fun, because each effect layer can be treated as a new layer and recolored, have a new blend mode applied, etc. In Bobbie's case she wouldn't need to add the drop shadow to the newly created stroke layer, but could just grab her "independent" shadow layer and move it around. You can even hide the original object layer and just have a shadow layer left on the page, which creates new and fun possibilities.

Wow - so much to learn! Dot I will have to study up on that a bit and give it a try - I never have understood how to do that. Thanks for your suggestions!

Another way that hasn't been mentioned is to create a new layer, control-click on the thumbnail of your item that you want to add a stroke to, then you have the marching ants. Then with the marching ants active, highlight the new layer. Then add your stroke as you always would. Then you can add a drop shadow to that layer alone.

Archived